cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master server accessing existing EMM server.

dcarrion87
Level 2
Hey Guys

Just wanting some feedback on an upcoming plan which will involve a master/media server offsite 30KM away accessing an existing environment.

The existing configuration:

Office

L180/L700 Library
4 x LTO drives
FC connected

OFHost1
- Solaris 8
- Master/Media/EMM Server (Robot control host)
- Netbackup 6.5.4

OFHost 2
- Solaris 9
- Media Server
- Netbackup 6.5.4

Data centre

DCHost1
- Solaris 10
- Master/Media
- Disk storage backup
- Netbackup 6.5.4

We have 4Gbps capable fiber link in which I have used to zone and test a standalone FC tape drive across the sites. The ability to push data to tape at the local office will provide us offsite backup.

So what I have planned is:

- Port 1556 is opened between the environment
- DCHost1 told to look at OFHost1 as it's EMM server
- OFHost1 runs nbemmcmd and adds DCHost1 as a media or master server to the EMM?
- Zone existing tape drive in library so DCHost1 can see it.

Is this configuration of having OFHost1 as DCHost1's EMM server allow me to control the robot to load a tape in the drive that is zoned off?

Any thoughts, suggestions etc... will be appreciated.

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
In theory one EMM server is supposed to be able to manage more than one master server, but we were told by a Symantec Pre-sales Engineer that this feature is "NOT YET" supported - one EMM server per Master.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

lu
Level 6
DCHost1 should be installed as a media not a server.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
In theory one EMM server is supposed to be able to manage more than one master server, but we were told by a Symantec Pre-sales Engineer that this feature is "NOT YET" supported - one EMM server per Master.

dcarrion87
Level 2
Thanks for feedback so far. Interesting as I'm getting different response from an engineer who said it would be possible and provided explicit instructions on how to do so. Along th elines of:

- Present robot to master/media offsite (DCHost1)
- Present specific tape drive to master/media offsite (DCHost1).
- Add server to configuration files relatively.
- Run nbemmcmd -adhost on OFHost1.
- Run device configuration on DCHost1, set robot control host as the OFHost1.

Additionaly, the madness behind the reasoning for it to be a master/media as opposed to just a media is that the environment needs to be as secure as possible and is offsite. If it was a media server it means more ports to be open, management from inside an insecure environment and no quick ability to restore if the master 30KM away went down. DCHost1 would have local storage as well and I could have a standalone LTO drive plugged in by the at the site and catalog data available to me immediately. I understand catalog can be backed up offsite but the recovery for it would be a pain.

Any more feedback would be great! Thanks again so far!

lu
Level 6
Yes, I may be possible, but i think there are no benefits doing so : you still have a SPOF which is OFHost1.