cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master server limits?

M_F
Level 3
Has anyone seen any docs that talk about limits of a NB Master with respect to number of clients, media servers, catalog size, etc.?

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Banu_SAHIN
Level 3
I don't know the limitiations of master server. I think it is related with your hardware resources. Let me know your needs.
regards.

Emin.

M_F
Level 3
In this case, I could have up to 1000 clients and around 20-30 SAN media servers, and 4 or 5 ordinary media servers. Assume that you'd have plenty of disk space for catalogs. I'm wondering if NB has some kind of "saturation point" with respect to catalog size or number or clients being hosted at the same time, or something.

thanks.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I wondered the frequent occurrence of network error with huge number of storage unit(over 3000!).
Master server connect to media server to check whether storage unit is available. Master server make session for each storage unit, so Master server tries to establish too many session each 10 min. Master server spent out reserved ports(513-1024) and network error occured.

I think number of client is not matter if you don't backup all client at the same time. But huge number of storage unit cause severe problem.
I reccomend you that you don't make a lot of storage unit, configure NetBackup to use non-reserved port. But best way is to devide clients to some group, and prepare master server for each group with Global Data Manager Option.