cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max Jobs per Policy

Stephen_L
Level 4
I know there is a max jobs/client but does one exist for policies?  I just upgraded to 6.5.4 and I've noticed I have identical policy/schedules running at the same time.  Example, I have a policy that runs at 0700, it runs WAY outside the window because of a slow network, but this morning it kicked off another job at 0700 when the one from yesterday morning is still running.
9 REPLIES 9

Android
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Yes, there is a max jobs per policy attribute.  If you select the policy from the list of policies and the choose change, it will take you to the policy attributes. On the left hand side of the policy attributes window about halfway down, there is a check box labeled "Limit jobs per policy".  Mark the check box and then using the drop down field underneath it shoose the number of jobs you would like the limit to be.

Hope this helps.

If you have duplicate policies that run at the same time, are they backing up the same clients and filesystems, etc.  If so why do you need two.  If only one is needed then get rid of the duplicate.

Stephen_L
Level 4
Thanks Android.  The policy isn't duplicated, NB kicked off the policy when it was already running.  It's one policy but right now running twice at the same time.

Android
Level 6
Is this policy running calendar based or frequency based backups?  If you are using calendar based backups and have a job set to run each day, then I would think a new job will start every day regardless of whether the old job finishes.  I'm not positive on this as I always use frequency based backups. 

Stephen_L
Level 4
It's frequency based which is strange.  Yes the backup from yesterday at 0700 is still running so why did it kick off another one this morning at 0700?

DragNet
Level 3
Sounds like your frequency is set for 24 hours.  NBU won't check the status of the last backup.  It just kicks off on schedule.  You may want to open your start window only every other day until your network gets up to speed.

Android
Level 6
How long does backing up this client usually take?  Does it always take more than 24-hours?  I would focus on reducing this time frame if this is normal behavior. 

How much data are you backin up from this client?  Where are you writing the data and if its going to tape what type?  What is the slowest network component between the two?

Stephen_L
Level 4
The problem is the client is in the Northeast and I'm in the Southeast.  The plan is to implement something like PureDisk at the remote locations but until then I'm stuck backing up across the wire.

Android
Level 6
You may have to decrease your frequency with that kind of throughput.

DPeaco
   VIP   
I agree with Android. Decrease the frequency to every other day and this will resolve that issue.

We've had to do that with a few of our backup clients. Making that change decreases confusion, increases your backup success rate, and gives you that much less to deal with every day.   :)
Thanks,
Dennis