OK - what am I missing ?.

New San media server 7.0.1 all the way around

14 SSO drives - this server has been added to all

created new storage unit of 1 drive for this server

A) on demand

B) max concurrent write drives = 1

C ) enabled multiplexing

D) Max streams per drive 10

(due to issues to big to go into here I have multi policies for this one server)

For each policy

E) do not allow multi streams

F) the schedule has media multiplexing set to 10

G) I do not allow different retentions on the same tape.

---------------------------------------

So a full backup is running - and is still running come Monday night when the incremental backups want to run.

So now my incremental backups say they cannot get a tape drive - because that full is still using the drive.

---------------------------------------

So I am trying to brain storm around this - how do I get the incremental to run when the full is still using the one tape drive.

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I would Allow Multiple Data Streams to ensure Full backup completes faster.

You do not want the Incremental to kick off before the Full has completed - it will not have a 'base' for the incremental and will end up backing up all data instead of changed data.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I have 5 policies just for this one server ( has to do with DFS - and they only way around the issues of having to do a SCC on each drive- so each policy is doing 1 job of getting all the DFSR dirs from 1 drive - so no mulit data streams for the policy - as I get it by having 5 different jobs from 5 different policies.....

the Full that is still running is for only one of the policies - the other policies finished their full just fine (they are much smaller)  So come Monday night the policy that is still running his full - will not kick of an incremental - but I need the policies that did finish there full to do the incrementals.  But I don't want to use up too many tape drives or tapes by allowing it to use as many as it wants. I want to limit it 1 tape each incremental night -  the full will take more tapes just because it is so big.

Marianne
Level 6

I see your dilemma...

What about allowing 2 drives in the STU?

To prevent 2 drives being used, create a separate pool for this server and set the pool Maximum Partially Full to 1. This should start the Incrementals on the 2nd drive based on the following in the Admin Guide:

MPF: Specifies the number of partially full media to allow in the volume pool for each of the unique combinations of the following in that pool:
■ Robot
■ Drive type
■ Retention level

This is just an idea - I have no means of testing it...

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I am assuming that the incremental backups have a different retention to the Full backups

That being the case they cannot write to the same tape and so have to queue until they can get a different tape

So you have 3 options:

1. Make all retentions the same so that they all write to the same tape

2. Allow multiple retentions per media (Master Host Properties - Media Tab)

3. Add another drive to your Storage Unit.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

If the max number of drives allowed is 1, 1 is what you will get, no matter what, if you want more drive writing data on that particular STU you need to raise tha value, you said you have 14 SSO Drives, how many media servers are sharing the drives? maybe all the other media servers have their STU's set to 14 and they are taking all the resources, if you want to split the load across the media servers you can split the number of drives devided by the number of medias, and that will give you a good load balance, of cource it will depend if you have all the STU's under a SUG with a Round Robin configuration.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

but I went a different way...  slept on it and came up with it.

1) my drives are pretty much used up so I don't have a lot of spare drives.

So what I did ( as this should only happen on Monday)  I created a second storage unit for that SAN Media server with one drive (put incr in the name of it so I would know it).

Then when to each policy and the schedules and for each incr schedule  I overrode the the storage unit for the schedule - having the incr schedule use the incr STU.  Where the fulls will use the normal STU I had made.  So the fulls on the weekend will only use 1 tape drive at a time,  most of the time the incr's will only use 1 tape drive - but if on Monday a full is still running to 1 the incrs will use a different one, I will just have to wait to see what kind of impact it has (As Monday night incr's for everything else is not a lot it should now hold up that extra drive for long).

Marianne
Level 6

Your idea sounds a LOT less complicated than mine!!

Let us know next week if it worked as per your expectation - I will gladly mark solution for you.