cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max number policies on NBU 6.5

Vapulaflo
Level 4

Hi guru's,

I've got an interrogation. On one of my NBU systems, I need to have one policy per client. So, I didn't find any information about a potential limit of the number of policies. I think I ever heard about 4096 policies max/per NBU server, but I'm really not sure.

For few years I worked on very big companies the maximum I have encounter was almost 100-150 policies/NBU server, so I really don't know.

If anyone got the answer to my question I will be very happy!

Thanks all in advance!

6 REPLIES 6

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

I've seen NB 6.5 with ~1000 policies. It works fine.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

& why shouldn't you!

An 'old' blog by Tim B regarding this exact subject

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/one-client-policy

Vapulaflo
Level 4

Your link was very usefull for me....

I was wanting to launch a new business on NBU, with one policy/client, so now, I think it will work greatly.

So now, I will have to use enough memory in my system.

Does the number of memory is dependent with the number of policies, or it is more dependent with the max number job in a same time? I know it is another question, if it is usefull I can write another subject.!

Thanks everyone

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

active at any one time, not on the number of policies (afterall you could have all your clients in just a few policies - that doesn't reduce the resources you will need!)

NetBackup 6.5 Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide (updated March 12, 2010)

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH62317

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

We're up to 710 policies on our V490 master (just upgraded this week from 6.5.4 to 7.0.1).

I really, really like the "one client per policy" approach.  I have some clients which actually require dozens of policies because of the way FlashBackup was implemented after they went to the parent/child model a few releases ago.

If you do go into a model with a large number of policies, you better be able to put some quick scripts together :)

Vapulaflo
Level 4

I made few test yesterday, in order to populate with a script all the policies I need.

bppolicynew works great to implement basic commun parameters like schedule, filelist.

My idea is to keep an active (but not) policy, and everyday, run a script with bppolicynew -same as ref_policy once by day to create new classes for all my new users with a filelist.

Firstly I was wanting to use 'keyword' to segregate, but it seems like I use policy, so better to use the policy parameter...