cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Append

Alessandro_Cera
Level 3
Partner Accredited
I run my backup daily. I want use a different media for a day, even if it is not full (EOM not reached).
How can I configure my policy?

Thanks in advance
Alex
6 REPLIES 6

Stumpr2
Level 6
In the volume pools create a pool for each day
Monday, Tuesday....
In the same policy create a schedule for each day
Monday, Tuesday ...

In each schedule select override policy volume pool to use the volume pool for the day.
Schedule Monday uses volume pool Monday
Schedule Tuesday uses volume pool Tuesday ...

Mark_Kimball
Level 3
I am interested in understanding why you would like to assign particular tapes to particular days. I can come up with a couple of reasons to manage your tapes that way, but none that outweighs the benefit of having NetBackup manage the tapes in a larger pool. Most of those reasons have everything to do with me being in complete control. Alot of the times "me being in complete control" sets me up for problems later...

Just a thought.

Mark

Stumpr2
Level 6
What if? ...

What if you accidently dropped the tape cartridge or if somehow the tape cartridge was damaged? You would then lose ALL of your backup images!

This solution will allow you to be able to restore from the previous day's backup if the most current backup was on a cartridge that was destroyed.

...at least that is why I have done it in the past.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Alessandro_Cera
Level 3
Partner Accredited
I would like to have just only one Volume Pool (for example for Exchange) and to have possibility to extract from robot just only the backup of the previous day (one media).

Since I have Exchange and SQL that have different retention and i want to have just only two Volume Pools and not 14 (Exch_monday, Exch_tuesday.... SQL_monday...)

Stumpr2
Level 6
Then I suggest identifying the media and suspending it and ejecting it.

To identify the media use bpimagelist

# bpimagelist -help
USAGE: bpimagelist

to suspend the media use bpmedia
# bpmedia -help
bpmedia:
-freeze|-unfreeze|-suspend|-unsuspend -m
-movedb -m -newserver

to eject the media use vmchange
# vmchange -help
(Eject TL8 or TLD volumes)
vmchange -res -multi_eject
-rn -rt -rh
-ml

Eject TLM, or TLH volumes)
vmchange -api_eject -map

-res -ml -rt
-rn -rh

(Eject ACS volumes)
vmchange -api_eject -map |any

-res -ml -rt
-rn -rh

you can put the commands together in a simple script.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Mark_Kimball
Level 3
You also might consider duplicating the previous night's backup image. That way the current primary copy is still in the robot to do a restore, and a copy is made to send offsite. I have no idea if you have the resources for this (like two idle tape drives in the middle of the day), but it's worth considering.

Mark