cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media ID and Barcode mis-match.

backupadm
Level 3
I have just connected a 2nd smaller library to Netbackup 6.5 system.  I see the robot and the drive, but when I insert new tapes the Media ID and Barcode are not the same.  What I see for the Media ID is something like "00123L3" and the barcode reads correct as "AA00123L3".  I have double checked the setting on the library and there are not any.

My concern is that my larger library sees the media ID and barcode as the same(ie- AA00123 & AA00123) and should I need to restore tapes made from the smaller library using the larger library the NB database will kick them back as not a complete match.

Thanks for any advise
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
Hi,

correct the barcode generation rule under the advanced tab of robot inventory,

example: 8 1:2:3:4:5:6

then delete all the volumes from the robot and reinvent them.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Are the all the labels made from the same company  ?
here we use the same label and we have 4 libraries.. 

a SUN L180 and a DELL DL4000 for example, I can change tapes between booth of them and netbackup can read w/ no problem.

maybe is something about the robots.

I´ll try to find something about config here and I´ll post here tomonrrow.

here is 9:00 PM

see ya

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
Hi,

correct the barcode generation rule under the advanced tab of robot inventory,

example: 8 1:2:3:4:5:6

then delete all the volumes from the robot and reinvent them.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
What is happening here is that the barcode reader of your new library can read all 8 characters of the label. NetBackup stores the last 6 characters by default.
You want the 1st 6 - follow the process described by Srikanth - it tells NBU that the label has 8 chars and that you want to use the 1st 6.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
check your new library - you can restrict it at source as to what/how many characters the barcode reader actually reads. Looks like it is reading all 8 & your old library only reading 1st 6.

We had a similar issue when we last replaced our library & for consistency changed it at the library. No worries about barcode rules then & your recorded media_id & barcode should be identical.

Just a thought.

**EDIT**
Another thought - just re-read your OP & you say there's no setting on the library for this (what library by the way)? In which case you'll probably have to go Srikanths route.

{{Note to self: Must pay more attention before posting replies ;) }}

backupadm
Level 3
Thanks Srikanth...You were right on the money!!! :)

Now is there a way to tell the software to do the same for the barcode?  I now see AA1234 for the "Media ID" but the "Barcode" still has AA1234L3.  In order to correctly match my main library I will need to drop the "L3".

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
There will/should be a setting on your library that determines how many characters it reads in a barcode.

Ira_Brock
Level 5
 backupadm,

Give this a try. I had a similar issue recently.

The command is in your "volmgr\bin" directory

vmchange -m <what you want the media id to be> -barcode <The id your robot is saying the tape is>

If the tape is already cataloged in your library, delete it. run the above command, and then put it back in. Netbackup will see the barcode and change the media id based on what you told it that it should be.

for example:  vmchange -m AA00123L3 -barcode AA00123L3

^ That should set the media id to the barcode exactly if you wanted it like that. In most cases it is used to change them so they are not alike... I hope this at least gets you closer to your goal.

backupadm
Level 3
I have solved the "Media ID" with the suggestion from Srikanth and all looks good.  Now I just need to drop the "L3" from the end of the VSN in the barcode field.

I don't see any setting in the library configuration.  This not an enterprise class library.  It is a SUN C2 or actually a re-branded Quantum.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
& can find no Technical Manual for the Sun C2 to try & help you here. (Maybe worth calling SUN or your reseller for guidance?)

If there is absolutely no way to change the number of characters that the barcode reader of the SUN C2 library actually reads then I can see no way round this.

Possible options:

1) Change your existing library to read all 8 characters (i.e. including the L3 suffix); or
2) Get labels without the L3 suffix.

I do think tho' that both routes may well impact on what tapes Netbackup thinks it has, so neither of these options may be something that you would want to consider. It could or would probably treat them as separate tapes & complain that they have the same media id!

If anyone else has any opinions I'm sure they would be gratefully accepted!

Will_Restore
Level 6

"Enabled/Disabled" 

is all I see on our C2, AKA Quantum SuperLoader

That is no problem since the Media ID is what Netbackup cares about during a restore. 
I tested this out in our lab & works fine; i.e. Media ID A01234, Barcode A01234L3
As long as the Media ID matches the (internal) label written on the tape you are good to go.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
& may not be relevant to the OP, but I'll ask it anyway ;)

How would this cope with existing media e.g. orginally in older library where MediaID=A01234 & Barcode reported as A01234, then put into new library where barcode is only reported as A01234L3 - wouldn't it now treat this as new media because of its 'new' barcode?

Ialahmad
Level 5
Partner
you can create any map between Media-ID and Media-Barcode by create Barcode Rule.
you can create Barcode Rules by follow this steps
  • Master Robot Inventory then click Advance option.
  • click Barcode Rule tab.
  • create a Barcode rule to map barcode with media ID.

I find the problem slight the same problem.  

The media id CP0003 , barcode L3CP0003 on robot inventory and media id console.  I check the media id length 8 1:2:3:4:5:6 . But the slot number is correct, using robtest and tape library console. 

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@IT_guys

Your problem is not really the same.

Your problem, as described over here:
https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/error-code-252-and-media-id-not-to-found-in-EMM/td-p/839401/pag...
and 
https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Requied-Media-id-not-in-EMM/td-p/842389

is that your library config at some stage was changed to display barcode as 
L3XXXXXX
instead of 
XXXXXXL3.

As per the posts referenced above, you need to change the library config.