cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media ID

zastavnik22
Level 3

Hi everyone/

I have a question and I would need your help.

When I pull out the tape and insert new one after scanning it has been recognised but old media ID remain. In order to make backup job I have to change mediaID in accordance to barcode rule.

old media ID is 3329L7 bar code LS3329L7

when I insert new tape old media remain as 3329L7 and new bar code is LS3331L7.

How to match media ID and barcode in order to complete backup job?

Thank you for your help in advance

13 REPLIES 13

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Media in general has a extern ID (barcode) and a internal media id - a magnetic written ID to the tape.

If a media is replaced either barcode or tape itself, tape needs to be labeled. if reusing previous used media uncheck " Verify media label before performing operation" during the label process

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/18716246-136359033-0/v95653921-136359033

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/18716246-136359033-0/v95652786-136359033

Please ensure tape has no valid backup data on them when labeling. Labeling a media will destroy the contents of the tape.

meda ID should be the first 6 character. L7 is the media type and should as such not be part of the media ID. the L7 is used by the robot to verify mount compatibility - e.g. preventing mounting  a DLT tape into a LTO tape drives.

DPeaco
   VIP   

You can read about the media ID settings here:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100016991 

Thanks,
Dennis

Thank you

Came this morning in the office and surprise.

Any idea whats happend over the weekend.On Friday all was ok.

StoneRam-Simon
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This error is not realared to your initial query regarding media, it would be perfereable if you creaated a NEW post for unrelated issues...

That said, the problem is explained by the following line.

Host BARFUP.HIAS-VIENNA.AT (192.168.43.16) is not an authorized server for host poe.hias-vienna.at.

Please check the bp.conf / host properties for "poe" and make sure that BARFUP is in its list of allowed SERVERS.

Thank you and appologies for publishing in the wrong place.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

X2
   VIP   

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Opps, sorry - thank you for correcting

Dear Nicolai thank you for your help.

Could you please instruct me what is the best to do:

old media ID is 3329L7 bar code LS3329L7 and on Friday I want to take it to the safe and to place new tape with bar code LS3331L7.How to create new ID 3331L7 for this new tape? And in a week I have to pull out this one and install old LS3329L7 back to drive?

Thank you for your help

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Hi @zastavnik22 

Not sure I fully understand.

The external (barcode) and internal label should be LS3329.

The L7 is  media type and not part of the Barcode.  That said, I have seen many people getting the media ID generation rules wrong and getting the media type as part of the label.

From a Netbackup perspective 3329L7 and LS3329L7 are two completely different media.

Please see : 

How to change the Media ID Generation Rule to use the first six characters of the barcode versus the last six
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100016991

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It seems your media IDs are the last x6 characters of the barcode, not the first 6, which is odd - it's allowed, but all the tapes have L7 (or Lx) so usually you drop the last 2 characters and use the first 6 characters of the barcode for the media ID.

What about the other tapes already in the system

You mention old tape 3329L7  - are all your tapes showing L7 at the end, of have you got a mix of mediaids (some the first 6 characters of the barcode, some the last 6 ... )

Hopefully, they will all be ending L7

In which case, all you should need to do is put the new tape in the library and run an inventory, NBU should take the barcode and then use the mediaid generation rule to set the mediaID using the last 6 characters of the barcode.

You can check the media id rule by looking in /usr/openv/volmgr/vm.conf 

It should look like this

MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS = 0 8 3:4:5:6:7:8

where

= 0 is the robot number
8 is the number of characters the robot is displaying for the barcode (this can be checked by running robtest on teh robot control host, then the 's s'  (without the ' ) command, and then check how many characters are in the barcode (be sure to exit robtest).
3:4:5:6:7:8  = are the positions of the characters of the barcode to include in the media id, so this example is the 'last 6 characters'

StoneRam-Simon
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Just want to add one little bit of extra information....

If you have already written to a tape that is using the last 6 chars NetBackup will continue to know it by that name until all the data has been expired and the tape has been deleted and recreated with the correct name..  You will also need to "re-label" in NetBackup to make it write the new name to the tape..

If you don't re-label it the media will be Frozen when you try to use it as the media id doesn't match with the recorder id.

########################## W A R N I N G ########################
Please be very careful when re-labelling a tape, all data on that tape will be lost.
###############################################################  

If you want to wait for the data to expire naturally you may want to freeze the tape to stop NetBackup from writing anything else to it.  Then when all data has expired, you can unfreeze, delete re-add with correct id and re-label.