cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Mounts

Anish
Level 4
Hi All,

I am trying to find Media mount option in Netbackup.

The reason behind is that we want to set policy where I can discard the medias as per no of times it is being used.

We are using HP LTO3 tapes for full backup. When i read documents provided by HP it is suggested to use one tape up to 200 full backups/restores.

I know option available in Netbackup where i can set Max no of mounts. But the problem here is Netbackup counts mounts depending upon actual mount and not as per capacity (full backup/restore) i.e. it will increase the count even when tape is used for small size backup/restore.

So i am looking for option or a way where count will be considered only when tape is fully backuped or restored. 

Pls share your views.

Thanks & Regards,
Anish
1 REPLY 1

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

or even if it would be feasible.

I fully understand your reluctance to use the max mounts for the reasons you quote. But similarly the reverse could be true if you only want to know the number of times a piece of media is filled - it could be mounted '000's of times & only filled to capacity once! So maybe you need to look at the amount of data written? But then again, depending on the type of data the amount actually written to tape could vary from a few hundred meg to over a terabyte!

May be someone else has, successfully, achieved what you require?