cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Ownership

SAM_1
Level 3
Partner

Hi.  I have an old HP-UX server with Oracle DB whose version (6.5) is no longer supported by NetBackup 7.x.  I was able to backup the server and the Oracle database.  I now want to restore the said backups to a newer server that is supported by NetBackup.  I am unable to do a restore since it will make use of the original server and that the data will pass through the LAN.  I tried doing a FORCE_RESTORE on the new server but somehow it doesn't work and results in an error.  It is now being investigated by Symantec Support.

However, I can't wait for Symantec Support's answer as it is taking them too long to investigate and I have a migration timetable to follow.  I thought of an alternative solution which is to change the ownership of the media from the old server to my new server.  My questions is will this work?  Do I need to change the ownership of the backup media and/or backup images?  What is the fastest way to do it?

If I change the owner of the media, will it automatically change the owner of the images?  Btw, I'm using a VTL.

I'm also open to other suggestions as to how to resolve this.  Thanks in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Changing media ownership with media-id as option is correct. You can change all images belonging to this media server to another media server with bpimage command. You may also want to read up on nbdecommission to completely decommission the 6.5 media server. About the FORCE_RESTORE entry that did not work: in future, ensure that you have bprd log folder on the master ( restart NBU after creating folder) to see how the entry is evaluated. The most common problem is typo error. PS: Please mark Riaan's post as solution.

View solution in original post

SAM_1
Level 3
Partner

Noted Marianne.  Let's see what happens.  Will revert ASAP.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

You can just run. It will move the images too.

bpmedia -movedb -m media_id -newserver hostname

SAM_1
Level 3
Partner

Noted Riaan. Will post here what happens.  Thanks!

SAM_1
Level 3
Partner

Hi Riaan.  My colleague yesterday tried the commands:

1. bpmedia -oldserver oldserver -newserver newserver -m mediaid (successful)

2. bpimage -newserver newserver -oldserver oldserver -id backupid (error - no entry is found)

Marianne
Changing media ownership with media-id as option is correct. You can change all images belonging to this media server to another media server with bpimage command. You may also want to read up on nbdecommission to completely decommission the 6.5 media server. About the FORCE_RESTORE entry that did not work: in future, ensure that you have bprd log folder on the master ( restart NBU after creating folder) to see how the entry is evaluated. The most common problem is typo error. PS: Please mark Riaan's post as solution.

SAM_1
Level 3
Partner

Noted Marianne.  Let's see what happens.  Will revert ASAP.  Thanks!

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi

Command 1 would be fine.

SAM_1
Level 3
Partner

Hi. Apparently, the root cause of all the problem, why the FORCE_RESTORE feature was not working was that somebody removed the server name from the host file. Thanks Riaan and Marianne for your recommendations.