cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Server - Drive connectivity

iaw
Level 5

Hi All,
I have 2 media servers with 2 HBA cards (=4 ports), 2 san directors, 24 drives and 24 SSO license.
Please suggest whats the best scenario for media-drive zone connectivity to get good speed performance.
1. Each media connect to 8 drives (2 drives per hba ports)
2. All media connect to all 24 drives (6 drives per hba ports)
or any better scenario?

Thanks in advance,
Ifan

22 REPLIES 22

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Apologies if I'm sounding 'pushy' - I really don't mean to.  Many of us simply want nothing more than to see it done well.  And it can always, and do mean ALWAYS, be done well... if enough effort is put it at an early stage.  We can, and will, help you... but we need detail.

iaw
Level 5

@sdo, Sorry as I was not online yesterday,

Reg your last questions, comment below,
5) 10GB link is dedicated 10GB port in switch, it uses Fiber Optic Cable
6) I dont know, if you can provide cli command to check this, it would help.
10a) FO = Fiber Optic
10b) I dont really understand of contended port, as I understand my network guy doesn't configure port group.

Just wondering, if I have 3 media server with 7 drives without SSO, 1 media has 2-3 drives.
There will be many jobs pending when ever backup policy started. So, this will extend backup window?

Additionaly, how to test/get the real drive troughput?
Let say, if I configure 4 multiplex (= 4 amounts of troughput in backup job report) so I just sum them all?

Thanks

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

5) Sorry but 10Gb sound like LAN.  This question was about SAn, which is probably either 4Gb or 8Gb or 16Gb.  If you are able to supply a link to blade specs that would help.  See 6) below.

6) Try the FabricOS commands:   chassisshow, and slotshow

10b) I think it may be possible that you are confusing bonding with port groups.  Bonding is a logical concept, sometimes referred to as trunking, or port-channelling.  What I'm asking about it is a physical concept named 'contended port groups'.  I think Google will be your friend on this question.

12Q) Just wondering, if I have 3 media server with 7 drives without SSO, 1 media has 2-3 drives. There will be many jobs pending when ever backup policy started. So, this will extend backup window?

12A) If you get the mix of multi-plexing right then it shouldn't extended the backup window.  The aim is to meet the backup window.  So, assuming your backup clients can deliver the data quickly enough - then there's probably no reason to miss the backup window.

13Q) Additionaly, how to test/get the real drive troughput?

13A) If you have a large capable Unix or Linux server, then GEN_DATA (search ths forum) policies can be useful for testing.  If not, then your only method of testing will be with real clients - or to use large files created on the media server - but these won't test backup client read, nor test LAN networking, nor test LAN ingest at the media server.

14Q) Let say, if I configure 4 multiplex (= 4 amounts of troughput in backup job report) so I just sum them all?

14A) It doesn't really work that way.  It is possible to view and/or calculate the aggregated bandwidth that a muli-plexed job set did actually experience, but it's deep in the log files.  And has been covered elsewhere in this forum.