cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Server Hardware refresh

amirjaffri
Level 3

Hi Everyone,

We are replacing the hardware of a current NBU 7.6.0.2 Media server running on Linux. The current server is the robot control host of SL3000 library and also has 16 drives configured on it.

I found an old article (link below) for replacing the media server hardware but want to confirm if it still applies to Netbackup 7.6.0.2. if not, can some one please direct me to the correct link.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77811

any help is much appreciated.

regards,

Amir

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

TECH77811 is still applicable. You can use it.
Just ignore cluster reference as clustered media server is no longer supported (and it seems you don't have a clustered server).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

So the question is are you looking to remove the old media server from your NetBackup environment?

The link you listed, TECH77811, is to keep the old server still in the system. Your are not decommissioning the old server, Its just turned off and it will still be listed in NetBackup. 

TECH77811 is the process for decommissioning a NetBackup 6.5 or 7.x media server. Your moving all media/image ownership, and hardware over to a new server and then decommissioning the old server. The nbdecommission command should be used.

amirjaffri
Level 3

We will be replacing old hardware with new hardware keeping the same media server name.

regards,

Amir

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

TECH77811 is still applicable. You can use it.
Just ignore cluster reference as clustered media server is no longer supported (and it seems you don't have a clustered server).

RonCaplinger
Level 6

Do you really have 16 physical tape drives connected to a single media server?  Few servers can handle more than 2 or 3 LTO4 tape drives all by themselves, let alone 16.  How fast are your current backup streams?  LTO4 & LTO6 tape drives usually need a constant minimum of 40MB/sec to keep the tape streaming and preventing I/O slowdown when it empties the buffers and has to wait for more data, shoe-shining the tape whiel it constantly repositions the tape medium.

You also have another post on this forum that you were replacing LTO4 drives with LTO6 drives. 

It sounds like you are attempting to improve your overall tape throughput.  Simply replacing this hardware alone won't usually increase throughput, you should probably add a few media servers and divide tape drives between them. 

If your media server is also your master server, I would suggest splitting that off to its own server, too.