cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Server IP change

Giroevolver
Level 6

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to double check something before I do it! Can you change a Netbackup media server IP address without requiring any other config? This media server is not the master server :)

The reason I ask this is that this new media server is about 10mb/s slower than my master server backing up the same file on a client to the same storage device. The only difference is that they are on differences is the VLANs and that the Master/media is 2003 and the new media server is 2008. I plan to move them on to the same VLAN to see if there are any issues going across VLAN's.

I have already tunned the buffers to the same settings but still it is 10mb/s slower on much newer faster hardware?!?!?!?!?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

any methods of hostname resolution are amended to reflect the change (e.g. hosts files, DNS) & obviously check that afterwards!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

any methods of hostname resolution are amended to reflect the change (e.g. hosts files, DNS) & obviously check that afterwards!

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

And if you have the required network interface set on the media, you'll need to update it with the new address.

EDIT: Well i suppose if you need to change the IP you probably only have one IP address configured. Should the IP change not work, check out the NIC TOE settings http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH60844

EDIT2: I see you were actually involved in previous posts regarding the TOE settings so I suppose you checked that too. I'll be quiet now :p

Giroevolver
Level 6

LOL! yes be quiet :)

Giroevolver
Level 6

Thanks Guys

I have made the change and had no issues. This has boosted performance by about 25% so there must be some sort of overhead on the switches going through the VLAN.

The test was on a 50GB folder of SQL backups:

Fisrt backup was 13 minutes 55 seconds of write time.

Second backup after VLAN change was 10 minutes 09 seconds write time.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please mark Solution?