Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Server Installation

Mitesh_Nandu
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Dear All,

Can you share the Media Server Installation Step-by-step. And how to configure media server in Master Server?

I have Installed Master Server on Windows 2008 R2 (NBU 7.5).

I have gone through some documents, which say media server needs only NBU Client installation? is it true.

Regards,

Mitesh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

No - a media server needs a server installation - the same as you did for the Master but this time select Media Server when you get to the screen where you put the license key in

When you get to the last screen make sure you set the master servers name correctly and also the EMM servers name (which will be your master server too)

It helps to add the new media server to the Master Servers host properties - Servers - Media Servers section and re-start its services before you start the Media Server installation

Hope this helps

#edit#

You wil find the installation guides in the DOCS folder of the software you downloaded

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Mr_Khan
Level 4
Partner Accredited

For unix find the below link for installing media server.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO14663

If you installing the media server on windows.

For windows step by step screen shots are given in the following link.

http://thekhantastic.blogspot.com/2013/03/netbackup-71-media-server-installation.html

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

No - a media server needs a server installation - the same as you did for the Master but this time select Media Server when you get to the screen where you put the license key in

When you get to the last screen make sure you set the master servers name correctly and also the EMM servers name (which will be your master server too)

It helps to add the new media server to the Master Servers host properties - Servers - Media Servers section and re-start its services before you start the Media Server installation

Hope this helps

#edit#

You wil find the installation guides in the DOCS folder of the software you downloaded

Will_Restore
Level 6

No, you have to install Server software, selecting the 3rd as indicated below

On the NetBackup License Key and Server Type screen, provide the following

information:

License Key - Enter the base product license key that you received
with your product.

NetBackup Master Server  - Click this icon to install master server software

NetBackup Media Server  - Click this icon to install media server software.

Stumpr2
Level 6

Maybe this is what was confusing you:

The media server needs to have its client binaries also installed in addition to the media server binaries.

RJGuinn
Level 3
Employee

The Media Server has the same software installed as a Master Server.

During the installation process, the installation script will as if this is the Master Server, you answer NO and it will ask you the name of the Master Server.

Will_Restore
Level 6

Odd, did not see your post when I responded earlier.  Oh well, great minds and all that.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have gone through some documents, which say media server needs only NBU Client installation? 

Which ducumentation is saying that? Never seen that in any documentation in the 14 years that I've worked with NBU. 

Server software includes client binaries - not the other way round.

See NetBackup Installation Guide for Windows: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5155

Mitesh_Nandu
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks Guys for your sharing.

I got confuse between client binari & media server binari as stumpr2 said.

As per your instruction i have done the step, and successful done the media server installation & configuration in master server.

I have one more query.

Master Server and Media Server needs same OS. For example if the master is installed on Windows, then Media Server also needs to be on Windows or it can be windows or linux and viceversa.  

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No need for same OS.

ANY combination of supported OS's can be used.

See NBU SCL: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

Only requirement is forward and reverse name lookup (DNS or hosts files) and port connectivity in both directions (port 1556).

Mitesh_Nandu
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks Marianne.