cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Server and DataDomain architecture question

new2nbu
Level 4

Hello,

I wanted to pose this question to the forum to try and better understand what's best practice for one of our remote offices and our plan to install a backup infrastructure locally.  Here's the scenario:

We have a remote office (no current backup infrastructure exists) and we are planning on installing a Data Domain device using OST.  We typically in our larger offices have always added an NBU Media Server locally as well to help manage the backups and traffic to the backup units and for restores etc..  However, in a smaller office (smaller total amount of data to be backed up) I'm wondering should I or do I need to install a Media Server as well.  Or could I register the Data Domain to a media server that is in another office and the data would then still back up to the local DD and then with SLP's replicate the data to it's DR location to another DD.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

I'd personally add a media server to this office, it's easier that way. Client data has to goto the media server, so it prevents the WAN being saturated by backup data. Only meta data is then sent from media to master.

new2nbu
Level 4

Great thank you for the response.

Jim-90
Level 6

Don't think about installing a media server + DDBOOST  remotely and having the DDBOOST traffic go across a slow WAN. It doesn't like it.  Last time I looked you need a local and remote DDs if you require replication.