cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Server currently not connected to master Server...

bharatgangawane
Level 5

Hi All ,

I am getttign an error the "Media Server currently not connected to master Server"

So please tell me what are the psibilities behind this issue and which thing to be indentified for this to reslove the same.

Please mentioned step by step.

Thanks in Advance.

Bharat

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Have you recently installed any antivirus on that media server, I had similar issue once when we installed Macfee on one of the media server and it was behaving the same way. We had to do exclusions for all the netbackup processes to make it work.

I don't think it is name resolution issue but please make sure hostname lookup problems can also trigger this error. Verify the forward and reverse lookups are working properly for the master and media server.

At the top you said I able to communicate from the master server but not able to connect through Media Server

What does that mean?

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Is this an old Media server that was working before or a new media server?

When do you see this error? When running a backup job?

What Version of NetBackup?

Are the media server processes running? Run netbackup\bin\bpps

Is the media server in emm? Run: netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbemmcmd -listhosts   (is it in that list?)

Is the media server in the Master server SERVER list?

Can the master server communicate to the media server? Run: netbackup\bin\admincmd\bpclntcmd -host <media server name>    from the master server

Can the media server communicate to the master server? Run: netbackup\bin\admincmd\bpclntcmd -host <media server name>    from the media server

sksujeet
Level 6

Do you have the services running on the master server, please check them?

Is this a new media server that is configured? If so make sure added properly in master server properties or in bp.conf file. Also make sure media server is pointing to the master server.

Where are you getting this error? Please provide more information

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What they're too polite to ask you is: Are these real servers, or are you currently in an interview?

bharatgangawane
Level 5

Hi All ,

Is this an old Media server that was working before.

I see this error at the the time of Backup

What Version of NetBackup:- 6.5.4 of Media Serve and Same version on Master Server

Are the media server processes running? Run netbackup\bin\bpps

--> When i get this error i recycled the Netbackup Services but after recycled ony 3 process are running "ltis , inetd and bpcd.

Is the media server in emm? Run: netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbemmcmd -listhosts   (is it in that list?)

--> Yes server in EMM and showing out-put in nbemmcmd -listhost(Media     Server Name)

Is the media server in the Master server SERVER list?

-Yes server is in Serve list

Can the master server communicate to the media server? Run: netbackup\bin\admincmd\bpclntcmd -host <media server name>    from the master server

--->I able to communicate from the master server but not able to connect through Media Server

Can the media server communicate to the master server? Run: netbackup\bin\admincmd\bpclntcmd -host <media server name>    from the media server

-->Below communication are happned

bpclntcmd -pn , bpclntcmd -hn , bpclntcmd -ip ,

Thanks

Bharat

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

I am agreewith Marianne.....yes  

Dear Bharat,

Below command will tell you actual status of that media server. (run on master server & post o/p)

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/./nbemmcmd -getemmserver

after recycle NBU services AVRD & VMD is missing !!! & hence can you re-check licencing also.

let us know how many tape drives visible on this media server ?

are you able to take file level backup from master to media (client) ?

bharatgangawane
Level 5

Hi Yogesh ,

Find the output for this command.

Failed to initialize EMM connection.  Verify that network access to the EMM server is available and that the services nbemm and pbx_exchange are running on the EMM server. (195)
Command did not complete successfully.

I had tried this

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH66433

but issue still present.

Thanks & Regards

Bharat

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

i recycled the Netbackup Services but after recycled ony 3 process are running "ltis , inetd and bpcd.

ltis? Did you perhaps mean ltid?

Did you remember to restart pbx as well?

Please show us output of 'bpps -x' on the media server as well as output of 'nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose' on the master server. If there are many media servers, just copy & paste the section for problematic media server.

PS: You really need to upgrade your environment. NBU 6.x reached EOSL on 3 October....

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Try folowing steps to ensure that PBX and NetBackup processes go running.

1. Stop all NetBackup processes on that media server.
    # /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/netbackup stop
  2. Check if no process remains.
    # /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpps -a
  3. If some process is running, kill it.
    # kill -9 process_id
  4. Check if pbx_exchange is running.
    # /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpps -x
  5. If pbx_exchange is not running, start it.
    # /opt/VRTSpbx/bin/vxpbx_exchanged start
  6. Start netbackup.
    # /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/netbackup start

If no lock, please check on both side(master and media) if hostname of both hosts are registered in server list(SERVER line in bp.conf), which IP address is used as source address when communiating with each other, which hostname is resolved by peer address. also check if any sort of firewall are enabled on network and host.

bharatgangawane
Level 5

HI All ,

Apologies, This is a windows media server and i tried this all thig as you mentioned for Windows

I had restart the PBX (Symantec private Branch) and also recycle the NBU Services.

Please find the o/p of nbemmcmd -getemmserver

"Failed to initialize EMM connection. Verify that network access to the EMM server is available and that the services nbemm and pbx_exchange are running on the EMM server. (195)"

And below process are runnig.

COMMAND           PID      LOAD
bpcompatd        1252    0.000%
bpinetd          3164    0.000%
bpjava-msvc      3312    0.000%
ltid             4208    0.000%
nbrmms           4640    0.000%
nbsl             5604    0.000%
nbsvcmon         5704    0.000%
vmd              5864    0.000%
tldd             6296    0.000%
avrd             6320    0.000%
bpps             8452    0.000%

Thanks

Bharat

Marianne
Level 6

Seems everything is running fine on the Media server.

Please run these commands on the Master server and post output:

nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose

nbemmcmd -getemmserver

Possible
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi,

We can not see the pbx running in provided o/p. Can u recheck it?

Thanks,

GS

Marianne
Level 6

PBX does not show in bpps output on Windows server.

The fact that all Media Manager processes (ltid, tldd, avrd, vmd) are running tells me that PBX comms with EMM is fine.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If the media server or master server have been rebooted then this lack of communication can ocurr

If you go to Media and Device Management - Devices - Media Servers

and right click the media server in question then select Stop/Restart Device Manger Service - then select stop/restart and click Apply .... if it actually connects and re-starts the service then you may well find that after a couple of minutes it comes back on line

Go to Activity monitor then select View - Refresh all and then check to see if it is online again.

If not then check that Windows Firewall has not turned on (AD Group policy can do this)

Hope this helps

Possible
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi,

Check the settings of the media server under the EMM DB

From EMM Server:
nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose -display_server -machinename <media server> -machinetype media

The output here will show several lines, you are looking for:

MachineState = not active for tape drives and disk jobs (14)

If is something different like:

MachineState = not active for disk jobs (8)

than your media server is offline and unable to communicate with your EMM box, something that occasionally works is:

From master server:                                            
vmoprcmd -activate_host -h <media server>

Tks.

bharatgangawane
Level 5

Hi Marianne ,

PFA o/p for listed commend.

Hi Mark ,

Please find the out-put while we try to resatrt the media manager services for that Media Server.

bcptalanal.jpg

Hi G.S

Please find the o/p for your listed commend.

bcptalanal.txt

Thanks

Bharat

sksujeet
Level 6

Have you recently installed any antivirus on that media server, I had similar issue once when we installed Macfee on one of the media server and it was behaving the same way. We had to do exclusions for all the netbackup processes to make it work.

I don't think it is name resolution issue but please make sure hostname lookup problems can also trigger this error. Verify the forward and reverse lookups are working properly for the master and media server.

At the top you said I able to communicate from the master server but not able to connect through Media Server

What does that mean?

Marianne
Level 6

We are still missing output of this command on the master server:
nbemmcmd -getemmserver

Have you checked media server for expired license keys?

Valid license keys needed on media servers:

Enterprise Server or Enterprise client
Library Based Tape Drives
Shared Storage Option (if drives are shared)

Seems you have quite a number of media servers in 'not active' state. Why is that?

The weird error that you are getting when trying to activate media server suggest that the master server might be problematic?
This command is valid for all post-6.x versions:

(Active/Deactivate host)
    vmoprcmd [-activate_host|-deactivate_host] [-h <device_host>]

Maybe NBU on master needs a restart?

The reason why this command is producing error:

nbemmcmd -getemmserver -emmname bcptalanal -masterserver sf440

1) bcptalanal is not the EMM server
2) Master server name is SF440, not sf440

Possible
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi Bharat,

Your media server is showing OFFLINE.

Please try : vmoprcmd -activate_host -h <Media Server>

and

nbemmcmd -updatehost -machinename <MEDIA_SERVER> -machinestateop set_tape_active -machinetype media -masterserver <MASTER_SERVER>

If they fails please provide the op.

Thanks,

GS.