cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Server upgrade without binary save

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

Id like to upgrage Media Server on AIX from 7.6.0.1 to 8.0. Free space on /usr/openv is 3.5GB, and 8.0 binaries are only 1GB larger than 7.6 binaries. But because 7.6 binaries are saved before the upgrade, 3.5GB is not enough.

Is it possible to run upgrade without this binary save?

Regards

Michal

7 REPLIES 7

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Is there another place ( fs), where you can put the binaries? If yes, maybe this information can be useful.

From Veritas NetBackup Installation Guide, I found this:

■ The exact amount of space that is required depends on the hardware platform. More information about this topic is available.
NetBackup Release Notes for 8.0 - http://www.veritas.com/docs/DOC5332

If space is an issue, you can install NetBackup on an alternate file system. The installation lets you select an alternate install location, and creates the appropriate link from /usr/openv.

Note: The value for disk space is for initial installation only. The NetBackup catalog requires considerably more space once the master server is placed in a production environment. For additional information on sizing requirements for the NetBackup catalog,refer to the NetBackup Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide.

Mounting NetBackup software media on UNIX or Linux systems

Issue the appropriate mount command for your operating system.

AIX
mount -v cdrfs -r device_path
mount_point

AIX
smitty cdrfs
or
smitty mountfs

I hope this helps

Regards,

Thiago Ribeiro

Genericus
   VIP   

Depends on your back out plan.

I have many times deleted /usr/openv/pack*, to save space, before installing. I did it on my 8.0 upgrade ( after testing !!! )

Especially when the back out is to just reinstall the older version, and not too many updates/EEB, etc.

If you need to back out frequently, the pack files are a life saver, but IMHO, not really needed for the GA or first install version.

also, IMHO - installing the files, then making a TAR copy of those same files, effectively doubling or tripling (if patching) the space needed is not my best use of disk space, and has caused pain - requiring 12G of space for a 3G media server install makes my day.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Michal_Mikulik1

I think back out plan is ok - just reinstallation.

To Thiago - it is an upgrade, so I cannot simply change install directory. The only thing which crossed my mind is to link /usr/openv/pack to a mount point in a some larger FS.

Or, is not here some undocumented parameter like ./install --NOSAVEBINARIES etc.? :)

Regards

Michal

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If it's only a media server and DOES NOT have an msdp pool, just uninstall and reinstall.  A media server is nothing more than a intellegent client really, there is no catalog or anything held on it (> ver 5.x).

I would take a copy of anything in bp.conf / registry and any files in .../netbackup/db/config (eg. any buffer size/ number settings), vm.conf and the license key.

Genericus
   VIP   

Good point mph - " would take a copy of anything in bp.conf / registry and any files in .../netbackup/db/config (eg. any buffer size/ number settings), vm.conf and the license key."

These should be clearly documented! I know I have customized my backup_exit_notify on my master, I always have to fix it after updates.

Please make a point of knowing your customized parameters!

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Well, hopefully the system documnetation shows all applied 'non-standard' settings ;0)

Most settings are in netbackup/db/config,  vm.conf, and bp.conf (or registry) if windows.  EEBs could have been appied, though if you are upgrading there is a hopefully high chance they are included in the new version. the pack directory should show any EEBs, as would a nbsu -c -t output.

The other possibility is 'touch files'  - these have multiple locations, and there is no way to automatically detect them, you have to go look, of write them down somewhere.

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

yes finally I have uninstall/reinstall binaries (but especially uninstall steps are tedious...). But it was only first "pilot" Media Server and I have 30 more...

What I noticed is that /usr/openv/pack is filled also with fresh installations, which seems to be pointless..

# ls /usr/openv/pack
NB_8.0      NB_CLT_8.0
# du -sk /usr/openv/pack
1899648 /usr/openv/pack

Regards

Michal