cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media driver is not compatible with windows PE (BMR)

engrmervin
Level 3

Netbackup 7.6.0.2, windows server 2012 R2

I run a ms-windows type with bare metal restore (all local drives).

Parent and child job status is 0, but the parent job have this error:

7/2/2014 3:11:57 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=47876) BMRERR: Received BMR error: The driver for Smart Array P420i Controller (Media Driver) is not compatible with Windows PE. You may need to create a driver package that is Windows PE compatible to restore this system using Bare Metal Restore

although I've placed hp smart array P420i driver in bmr boot server assistant (driver wizard), error still persist.

I think i've downloaded the wrong driver (obvously), can anyone with king soul give me the correct windows PE driver for hp smart array P420i?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

The message you are seeing is normal.  The WinPE image used for BMR restores is version 3.0, which is based on Windows 2008 R2.  A Windows 2012 driver set harvested from the client is not compatible with this. That means that you will have to add a Windows 2008R2 driver set into the BMRDB in order to allow BMR to add a set into an SRT for recovery purposes. The TECH181674 article above explains what is needed. Despite the tone of the message, there is nothing wrong.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

The error message you are seeing is based on a rules based entry in the BMRDB.  It is stating that the given adapter device drive (Device ID information) is allegedly not compatible with the WinPE environment used by BMR.  But there are multiple such rules entries that are incorrect/invalid.

The only time this directly affects a BMR restore is where a driver needs to be inserted into a network based SRT for recovery purposes. BMR checks the rules entries and will not insert any driver it thinks is not valid for that WinPE image. Under those circumstances you will need to manually add the driver into the SRT. 

These articles can be used to assist with that effort:

How to manually update a BMR Shared Resource Tree (SRT) on BMR 7.X Windows Boot Servers
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH160457 

Windows Device Driver Requirements for Bare Metal Restore (BMR)  
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH181674

BTW, to the best of my knowledge the drivers for the given adapter are indeed valid in a BMR SRT which makes this message invalid. I will add an updated comment when I have all of the details..

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

I want to add an immediate comment, having done a better job of reading your initial posting.

You state this is Windows 2012 R2 on NBU 7.6.0.2. This release of Windows is not supported by BMR as a Client/Boot Server. Support for 2012 R2 is supposed be part of the next NBU release, NBU 7.6.0.3. This OS is supported as a BMR Master starting with NBU 7.6. 

The link to the NetBackup Operating System Compatibility List (OSCL) document is:

NetBackup (tm) 7.x Operating System Compatibility List
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648 

See page 27 of the document. A client can be supported as a NetBackup client but not necessarily as a BMR client. BMR support is noted in its own column in the individual sections.

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

The  driver set for the P420i is the HPCISSS3 Driver Set. The HP 64 bit driver package is cp020712.exe on the HP website. Based on review of the setup files and the XML file, this driver set works for both Windows 2008 and 2008 R2. 

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

The message you are seeing is normal.  The WinPE image used for BMR restores is version 3.0, which is based on Windows 2008 R2.  A Windows 2012 driver set harvested from the client is not compatible with this. That means that you will have to add a Windows 2008R2 driver set into the BMRDB in order to allow BMR to add a set into an SRT for recovery purposes. The TECH181674 article above explains what is needed. Despite the tone of the message, there is nothing wrong.