cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media position errors 86

jpench
Level 3

I have an LT04 tape that is giving me CRC errors, Read errors and media position errors. This is happening using multiple tape drives so I assume my media is bad and I should copy off the valid images to a new tape? Attached is the output of:

nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid 000056

and

bpmedialist -mcontents -m 000056

NBU 7.1 running on Windows 2008

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpench
Level 3

I guess I should have said can I assume and that would have made it a question. I copied the images I could to a new tape and pulled it from the pool. Thanks for the replies.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

you have made a statement that you are getting errors

you state that it happens on mulit drives (assuming same tape)

so you assume the tape is bad and should copy it off to a new tape (this is a statement but you end it with a ?)

and you give the output of two commands

so what are you asking?  Should you copy it to a new tape?  Yes if you can but it may be toast with the issues you have.  if You cannot make a dupe of the tape, then you should keep it until all the images on it expire then have it destroyed.  This way if you really really really need something off the tape you could send it to some media recovery company to try to get the data off of it.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Just be aware that if the tape is bad, it could trash or at least damage the drives.

I've previously seen this happen - a bad tape 100% trashed x6 drives in one go.

M

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Can't add any more than what the 2 posters above have put. Bad tape, remove it, Keep it safe and don't use it incase what mph999 mentioned might happen!

jpench
Level 3

I guess I should have said can I assume and that would have made it a question. I copied the images I could to a new tape and pulled it from the pool. Thanks for the replies.