cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media's in unassigned state

Deepak_G
Level 6
Certified

I have an environment with NBU master running on WIN 2003 64 bit @ version 7.1.0.4.

Few days back nbdb storage space got full because of which the IDIRSTRUC file changed its default value from 2 to 1. Because of that the backup stopped using directory structure inside the db\images folder. This was found and reverted back with the help of the following technote.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH8487

But a few media's got unassigned though we have a valid image on them. The corresponding images are available inside db\images folder but the MEDIA's are unassigned and in the scratch pool. We had a restore request for one of such backup's and had to do import of media to proceed with the restore.

We still have a lot of such media's in unassigned (There are close to 700+ clients on environment). I have a case with symantec but still no real response from them.

Can someone help on this unassigned media's.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

2 options.

1st Move the media to a safe unused volpool - this is very important as media in an unassigned state can be overwritten.

1. Import the media

2. Work with Symantec to use NBCC to reassign the media to the media DB.

You can run bptm -makedbentry on each media but I DO NOT recommend this as the fix applied by NBCC is better, and is the way that these issues should be fixed;

This is a potential data lose case - you should call Symantec now and work with a TSE to continue fixing the problem.

There are no other options.

Martin

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

2 options.

1st Move the media to a safe unused volpool - this is very important as media in an unassigned state can be overwritten.

1. Import the media

2. Work with Symantec to use NBCC to reassign the media to the media DB.

You can run bptm -makedbentry on each media but I DO NOT recommend this as the fix applied by NBCC is better, and is the way that these issues should be fixed;

This is a potential data lose case - you should call Symantec now and work with a TSE to continue fixing the problem.

There are no other options.

Martin