cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media server temp filled with nbtelemetry data

X2
   VIP   

I have two media servers running Windows 2016 (different domains) with the same issue. The C:\Windows\Temp\nbtelemetry* folders total to 30+ GB!!

Has anyone noticed this? What is the best way to get rid of this?

8 REPLIES 8

Alexis_Jeldrez
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you made sure your logging attributes are set to minimal or disabled?
Are you using NetBackup 8.0 or 8.1?
Do you have many nbtelemetry processes or just one or two?

X2
   VIP   

The logging is set to minimum logging on the media server

It is NetBackup 8.1.1 I'm running on all domains/clients.

I see no nbtelemetry process running now. From the time stamps on the folders in C:\Windows\Temp\, it seems that it runs every 15min. Each folder is about 2 - 5 MB and there are 17,472 folders (some are empty) - but it is adding up to several GB!

Update: Interestingly, this started on 28 Feb 2018. I checked out change records for the system and nothing was done around that time!

Marianne

X2
   VIP   

Set the config to No.

Monitoring the C:\Windows\Temp\ folder now

Update1: new folder created after config change

Update2: verified that bprdreq -rereadrequest command was run, another folder got created after that

Update 3: now restart NetBackup on media server.... No new folder has appeared in the last half hour. Need to log a case with Veritas to find out why it is happenning with the setting set to Yes.

Update 4: new folder created 2hrs after restart of Netbackup

Marianne

@X2

Are you saying that new folders are still being created with setting changed to 'NO'? 

Update 4: new folder created 2hrs after restart of Netbackup

Have you logged a Support call yet?

X2
   VIP   

@MarianneYes, even after setting the config for sending telemetry data to NO, the folders are being created.

Case has been open for a few days as the support engineering is trying to study the nbsu output. He said that the folders can be deleted. Still waiting for a solution as new ones are being created every 15 minutes.

X2
   VIP   

Apologies for the late update as I was off on vacation.

The case was transfered by Veritas support to a backline TSE and I'm awaiting an update.

X2
   VIP   

The workaround backline gave to fix the problem is to rename the nbtelemetry.exe executable.

BTW, the files in C:\Windows\Temp\nbtelemetry* folders were locked and couldn't be deleted without restarting the machine. I didn't try stopping NetBackup to check if they got unlocked; I will try doing that on the prod machine.