cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media server upgrade

Lucky_Reddy
Level 3

Hi All,

In my environment 3 media servers that are running 8.0 and using the same storage unit group. we are looking for an upgrade to the latest version 8.3. How we need to be procced for upgrade need to update one by one or Three at time. which is the best practice to upgrade.

5 REPLIES 5

L_BR
Level 5

The upgrades don't take all that long, but I always go the cautious route. Is your Master server already on 8.3? 

You could remove a media server from the group, upgrade it and add it back. Rinse and repeat for the other two machines. Or you could disable your schedules (if you use an external scheduler) or disable the policies themselves, then run the upgrade on all three. 

HI Laurence

Thanks for the quick response. The Master should be 9.1 and the media server we are trying to update is 8.3.  We have DDboost configured via OST, this DDboost is configured as a storage unit group as Round Robin which is mapped to 3 media servers for load balancing. 

How to Remove a media server from the group and rejoin it after the upgrade? can you please explain this process?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Please remember to check if there is a NBUX 9.X version of the boost plugin.

I agree with Laurence, a media server upgrade won't take long

L_BR
Level 5

I'm not all that familiar with the Storage Unit Groups, our OST device doesn't support them (yet).

Are the media servers attached to a single storage unit or multiple? You can remove a media from the storage unit and then perform the upgrade.

Login to the Admin console on the master.

• Expand Netbackup Management
  • Expand Storage
  • Expand Storage Units
  • Double click the relevant storage unit, uncheck the media server (at the bottom) and save the configuration.
  • Upgrade the Media server and add it back with the same method.

If your Storage Unit Groups are set to Prioritized/Failover, you should be able to just perform the upgrade, NBU will use the other media servers. Jobs running on the media server at the time will naturally fail. 

Azhar4
Level 4

you can just deactivate  media server one at a time