cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media status of tapes in robot

gaberjr
Level 2

I was curious do all the media status of the tapes in the robot need to be "active"? We do a weekly tape exchange so not sure why netbackup does not eject out all the tapes that are Frozen, suspended etc. I also keep getting a backup failure "96 unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available" maybe this is caused by the inactive tapes in the robot? Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

SplashMasterson
Level 4
Certified

"I was curious do all the media status of the tapes in the robot need to be "active"?

Correct. A media status with "Active" means it is available to be written to, whereas "Frozen", "Suspended", or anything with "Full" means it is not available.

"We do a weekly tape exchange so not sure why netbackup does not eject out all the tapes that are Frozen, suspended etc."

That completely depends on how you are ejecting media. Is it scripted, are you using Vault, a manual process, etc? My reccomendation is to always remove Frozen and Suspended tapes from the library unless you need them for a restore. Also, try to find out why tapes are going Frozen.

"I also keep getting a backup failure "96 unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available" maybe this is caused by the inactive tapes in the robot? Thanks."

1. Do you have a scratch pool configured?
  2. Are your policies set to use scratch or a specific volume pool?
    1. If using specific pools do you have available media in those pools?
    2. If using scratch, do you have enough scratch?
  3. What is the density of your drives? (example hcart2)
  4. What is the density of your tapes? (eample hcart2)
  5. Do those two densities match? See this page for more information https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.HOWTO73178

Try to get the following info and post the output

Under /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpstulist

bppllist <name of policy that is failing> -U

bpstulist -label <name of storage unit> -U

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpconfig -d

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You need to take control of media management. NBU will never automatically eject Frozen or any other unusable tapes. You need to do it.
You need to check and ensure on a daily basis that there are sufficient available tapes in the robot.
available_media script in goodies folder is great for this purpose.

lakshmiN_VG
Level 2
Employee

You need to make sure there are sufficient tapes recalled (through vault) or manually for daily backups.

There is a possibility that images in media may be expired but still sitting on assigned volume pools.

Try bpexpdate -deassignempty