cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate MSDP Pool to new server

S_Williamson
Level 6

Hello,

I am wondering if someone has a good procedure or technote on how to migrate data to a new MSDP Pool on a new server

We have a server out of lease in about a months time and I have a new server ready to go as its replacement.

There is currently about 7TB of dedupe data on a Netbackup 7.5.0.5 Media Server.The old Server is Solaris 10 and the new server is Windows 2008 R2 but I dont think that should make any difference. The New server has 18TB available.

Currently backups run to a storage unit called dedupe-serverA (some via SLP and some just direct to the pool). I want to be able to stop all backups to storage unit dedupe-serverA, update all policys and point them to dedupe-serverB. As we have a month to do this I was wondering if its better to a

1. Duplicate all images/finger prints from serverA's pool to serverB and then remove ServerA from the equation all together

or

2. Update the SLP to backup as per normal but add an additional step to duplicate images to ServerB's pool so in a months time, all the fingerprint data etc should have been prepopulated for the cut over.

Has anyone done something similar before? ServerB's storage pool is not configured yet incase there is any requirements for addiing addition media servers etc into the configuration.

Thanks in advance for any information.

regards.

2 REPLIES 2

PeteWall
Level 4
Employee

Both options would work and only differ based on how long it would take for the new server to have all of the data from the old server.

Another option would be to switch the SLPs and policies to send the data to the new server.  Then keep the old server around for restores only until the last image has expired.

S_Williamson
Level 6

If I move ServerB as the backup location, it wont have all the fingerprint database data as the dedupe pools do not talk to each other (*yet* - NBU 7.6 - SureScale) , but at this point I need to populate the second pool before I move backups directly to them else I will have the entire "First Run" issue again for each job.