Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate MSDP to a New Server

farmch7q
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I'm new to NetBackup and I have a test environment and I have a Master and Media Server.   I've created a 2nd Media server and I want to be able to effectively decommission the first Media Server.

Media Server 1 has an MSDP and has been backing up various clients for the last few months.

I added Media Server 2, which also has an MSDP.  

My first step was to change all policies to now point to the MSDP on Server 2.

I'm unsure how I can move all the images currently on Server 1 to 2, so I can decommission Server 1?

So I have used the Catalog option in the GUI.

• Found all the images and sorted by Media Server -
  • Selected Everything relating to that server,
  • Right click on Duplicate.
  • Selected the new Media Server MSDP

However, Media Server 1 also has a basic disk, staging and Advanced Disk.   I assume that anything with a @ at the front of the media pool is media in a MSDP?

I hope this is remotely understandable.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Your understanding is mostly accurate. Even the other diskpools would have the @aaaa ID's but in all cases you can duplicate from the one media server to the other.

Once you've done the duplications you should verify that every image has two copies, one on the old msdp, one on the new MSDP. Then you can expire the old MSDP.

View solution in original post

NBU35
Level 6

As you already have media server 2 working as MSDP, so duplication is the process to move images to media server2.

In catalog.. Action -->> Duplication.

Media :: Disk Type -->> Pure Disk, Diskpool Name -->> Name of MSDP and choose the date range according to your need. 

Then right click Duplicate.. choose options like volume pool, Storage UNit related to new MSDP. Also don't forget to check the box primary copy.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Your understanding is mostly accurate. Even the other diskpools would have the @aaaa ID's but in all cases you can duplicate from the one media server to the other.

Once you've done the duplications you should verify that every image has two copies, one on the old msdp, one on the new MSDP. Then you can expire the old MSDP.

NBU35
Level 6

As you already have media server 2 working as MSDP, so duplication is the process to move images to media server2.

In catalog.. Action -->> Duplication.

Media :: Disk Type -->> Pure Disk, Diskpool Name -->> Name of MSDP and choose the date range according to your need. 

Then right click Duplicate.. choose options like volume pool, Storage UNit related to new MSDP. Also don't forget to check the box primary copy.

farmch7q
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks Guys.

@NBU35.  I don't know how I missed the option to select Disk Type in the Catalog.