cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate NetBackup 8.2 client to another master running 8.3 and how to automatically obtain new cert

HPosenRU
Level 4

Hi,

I am building a new NetBackup 8.3 master server running 8.3 and I need to migrate all my clients from my current 8.2 master. Is there a way on the new master to push new certificates to the clients? I already have the new master added to the bp.conf (as the second entry) on all the bp.conf files. I don't want to login to over 700+ clients to do this manually on each one. The reason I am not do a catalog import from the existing master is because the new master has a new name and it is running on Linux (as compared to Solaris).

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @HPosenRU 

Yes there is - it's part of the CatMan toolkit called NBCertDeploy, which automates the deployment of NetBackup certificates as part of a migration (similar to what you are doing - but can include migrating the NetBackup catalog as well).

It is not generally available and can be used as part of a paid engagment with Veritas professional services. Talk to your local account team if you are interested in pursuing this. 

Beyond that what you are looking at doing is to deploy and run a script on every client that executes two commands:
nbcertcmd -getCACertificate -server <New_Master>
nbcertcmd -getcertificate -server <New_Master>

As an aside to what you are doing, have you considered how you will handle the backups cataloged on the existing master server going forward and how you will recover them (if required)? Also with the exception of the name and version change you should be able to recover a Solaris master to a Linux master (refer to this link: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100022624)

Regards
David

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @HPosenRU 

Yes there is - it's part of the CatMan toolkit called NBCertDeploy, which automates the deployment of NetBackup certificates as part of a migration (similar to what you are doing - but can include migrating the NetBackup catalog as well).

It is not generally available and can be used as part of a paid engagment with Veritas professional services. Talk to your local account team if you are interested in pursuing this. 

Beyond that what you are looking at doing is to deploy and run a script on every client that executes two commands:
nbcertcmd -getCACertificate -server <New_Master>
nbcertcmd -getcertificate -server <New_Master>

As an aside to what you are doing, have you considered how you will handle the backups cataloged on the existing master server going forward and how you will recover them (if required)? Also with the exception of the name and version change you should be able to recover a Solaris master to a Linux master (refer to this link: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100022624)

Regards
David