cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate NetBackup server from VCS cluster to Standalone server

puneet102
Level 4

I have NetBackup server Installed on Windows server. NetBackup server is in VCS cluster. Please find the details below :

NetBackup Version : 8.3.0.1

Infoscale Version : 7.4

Operating system :  Windows server 2012 R2

I want to remove VCS cluster and create an stand alone server just to browse the catalog. I want want any third party migration tool and spend additional money to migrate the catalog. We want to keep this server just for next few month. we are removing cluster so that I  can use infoscale license for different purpose. 

Is it possible if we will create new server with same hostname and perform desister recovery? or any other suggestion.

Thanks
Puneet Dixit
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I imagine that you have already found that it is not possible to transfer a clustered netbackup database to a standalone server without help from veritas professional services.
I recall that there is a company that had also create a tool that "transfer" the backups from/to a different backup software.
All the above solutions have a cost, a big cost if you need it for testing.

So, if you need to move only the netbackup backup images for test  and not the whole database, I suggest you to go with unload and reload the backup images. Note that this will not transfer any other catalog information (disk,tapes,policies,SLPs, ...)
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100016138

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I imagine that you have already found that it is not possible to transfer a clustered netbackup database to a standalone server without help from veritas professional services.
I recall that there is a company that had also create a tool that "transfer" the backups from/to a different backup software.
All the above solutions have a cost, a big cost if you need it for testing.

So, if you need to move only the netbackup backup images for test  and not the whole database, I suggest you to go with unload and reload the backup images. Note that this will not transfer any other catalog information (disk,tapes,policies,SLPs, ...)
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100016138

Hi @puneet102 

You could also look at reducing the cluster to a single node. This would free up some InfoScale licenses that you can start to use elsewhere. 

I feel this would be a simpler solution than attempting to "decluster" the master or perform a catalog transfer (which really only works for tape and basic disk - as per the article). So if you have backups sstored in MSDP, then this will probably not be a solution for you.

Cheers
David