cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate Netbackup master server to VMware virtual machine

AdN
Level 4

Hello,

We're having a Netbackup 8.2 master server running on RHEL 6 on an old HP Proliant DL 380 G6 server. As both OS and hardware are beyond end of support, we'd like to migrate the master to a virtualized environment, because it is easier for future hardware lifecycle and upgrade.

Did someone already do this and had any issues with that ... except the statement that there maybe support issues?

Regards,

Bernd

10 REPLIES 10

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

We have done this a while ago on Windows Environment for Netbackup 7.x. I'm sure it will not be any different for 8.2

1. Ensure your new VM h/w and OS is supported by NetBackup 8.2 and should have SAME hostname
  2. Take the Catalog Backup from your current environment, preferably on local disk (you can search the documentation on this)
  3. Install NetBackup on new VM as master (make sure you have same hostname)
  4. Disconnect the old master from network or shutdown
  5. Recover the Catalog on the new Master
  6. Ensure you see all the configuration Intact
  7. Run some test backup and if you are satisfied then you are good to continue your operations here
  8. If you have any issues, shutdown/disconnect new VM and bring back the Old master

A meticulous plan is very important to complete this migration. Read all the documents from support site.

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hey

If you do seek more VRTS TN here these are:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100022624

bhdrkzltn
Level 4

Recovery from the catalogue procedure can be followed.

1) Keep the same hostname. Be aware that shortname and FQDN are not the same thing. And master server version must be identical.
2) Stick with the installation path and the filesystem being used. I see some acl issues with EXT3/4 -> XFS.
3) Be sure that you have full catalogue backup with master server identity (DRPGK) information. For the simplicity, backup to an STU easily transportable to the new master server. Prefer Basic Disk or AdvanceDisk.
4) Recover identity first and check to see if CA certificates are matching with the original master server.
5) Practice and document your own procedure before the actual migration.

Thanks. Seen that comment too late. Ran into ACL issues when restoring the catalog from ext4 to a xfs volume and the catalog recovery wizard terminated with errors.

I also noted that the BasicDisk storage units are not recreated during disaster recovery procedure. Do they need to be created manually or is it an error? The media servers, robots and medias were discovered.

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

instead recovering the database to the new server, just copy with sftp the /usr/openv of the old server to the new server. This will do the job

Hi @AdN 

I agree with @StefanosM , as long as you add/create the web services user with the same ID, then it will work and be a simpler process than having to do a recovery. 

Cheers
David

You mean just install the server binaries on the new master without disaster recovery process and then rsync the whole /usr/openv from the old server over it afterwards? I think I did that 10 years ago when migrating the master server back then from Solaris to RHEL6. I wanted to do it this time the "proper" way and get rid of all the legacy stuff inside coming from previous versions back to 7.1. ;)

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

HI @AdN 

If you want to get rid of all the legacy stuff and do a tidy up, then follow the article @quebek provided the link for together with the troubleshooting guide. The process isn't that hard and if your catalog backup is to basic disk, the time wont be much different to doing the rsync. 

David

HI @AdN 

Some other comments, until you start running backups on the new system you can always fail back to it (you can even after starting backups but you will of course lose those). 

There is no need to recreate the basic disk STU on the new master, the DR file contains the location of the catalog backup, so you just need to put the files there (if you need to use an alternate location, you can simply modify the DR file to the new correct one) - the recovery process will read the back files from the location specified (hence why it is always simpler to recover using Basic or Advanced disk).

David

Thanks. I know the document https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100022624.

The fail back I did last week already. The recovery wizard probably failed to create the basic disk storage units on the media servers because it ended with errors due to filesystem change from ext4 to xfs and many failed EXT2_IOC_SETFLAGS errors. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 12.28.10.png

I'll try it from a catalog backup to disk adn ext4 formatted lvol next time to speed up recovery.

Regards,
Bernd