cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate PureDisk data to MSDP - Clarification

bpdown
Level 4

Hi all, 

Need to migrate data off a legacy PureDisk system into an MSDP (Possibly a NBU Appliance) and I need some clarification on the process.

HOWTO89017 states "NetBackup cannot use the storage hardware while PureDisk uses it for storage. The structure of the PureDisk storage is different than the structure of the storage for integrated NetBackup deduplication. The disk systems cannot be used simultaneously by both NetBackup and PureDisk. The PureDisk images on the storage cannot be transferred to the deduplication storage server storage. Therefore, to migrate from NetBackup PureDisk to the NetBackup Media Server Deduplication Option, Symantec recommends that you age the PureDisk storage pool backups until they expire".

HOWTO - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO89017

I've read about the migration utility on the 5230 appliance that can apparently migrate data from PureDisk to MSDP (just not over fibre channel).

Has anyone successfully used the migration utility to migrate data off PureDisk to an MSDP or using any other method?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Putting the image on disk/tape before moving it to appliance will work as its completely rehidrated to its full form, and then placed into the MSDP pool. So there is no confusion.

With PD and MSDP there might be some mixup as the deduplication software is not 100% the same (as I understand it).  The guides say you cannot do optimized duplication from PDDO to MSDP (which might mean it will just do a normal duplication like walker saw, or it might fail, be corrupt, etc). Strangely enough you can duplicate from MSDP to PDDO.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

This is not supported and Symantec suggest to just let the backup expire on the PDDO.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/duplicate-pddo-images-msdp

It has to do with the fact the PureDisk and NetBackup deduplication has different internal workings.

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee

Hi, bpdown

Which version of nbu and PDDO?

Not so sure if it's supported. Just simply did the following to migrate image from PDDO to MSDP for your reference. It seems to work fine, can restore from MSDP normally. Maybe you could try them.

1. Duplicate image from PDDO to MSDP from NetBackup Management->Catalog.

2. Duplicate image from PDDO to basicdisk, then duplicate from basicdisk to MSDP from NetBackup Management->Catalog.

Configuration:

NBU: 7602

PDDO:

xxx:/etc # cat nbapp-release nbapp-release = 1.4.4.0

xxx:/etc # cat pdos-release 6.6.0.308-appliance-0.704

Thanks

bpdown
Level 4

Hi Walker _Yang, thanks for your response.

Running 

1 x v6.5.5 NBU environment and PDDO v6.6

1 x v7.5.5 NBU environment and PDDO v6.6

Are you saying in option 1 that you did a straight duplication from PDDO to MSDP via the catalog and it worked? Isn't that the method which symantec says isn't compatible?

PDDO > Basic Disk > MSDP sounds like it would work though.

RiaanBadenhorst

Putting the image on disk/tape before moving it to appliance will work as its completely rehidrated to its full form, and then placed into the MSDP pool. So there is no confusion.

With PD and MSDP there might be some mixup as the deduplication software is not 100% the same (as I understand it).  The guides say you cannot do optimized duplication from PDDO to MSDP (which might mean it will just do a normal duplication like walker saw, or it might fail, be corrupt, etc). Strangely enough you can duplicate from MSDP to PDDO.

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee

hi, bpdown

I didn't completely understand your topic previously. I always thought you want to migrate PDDO data to MSDP. Sorry for that.

Usually there is a little confusion for PDDO(PureDisk Deduplication Option) and NetBackup PureDisk Storage Pool.

For NetBackup Appliance product integreted with PureDisk software, we have two usages, they are different.

1. Used as PDDO, which is deduplication storage destination of NetBackup.

2. Used as PureDisk Server, which has its own storage pool, and used to protect remote offices with puredisk agent installed, standalone backup system similar to others, e.g. netbackup, BE.

For the first usage, migrate PDDO data to MSDP is supported, but it's normal duplication, not optimized duplicaiton. Maybe in the future release, optimized duplicaion from PDDO to MSDP is supported.

"Duplicate image from PDDO to MSDP from NetBackup Management->Catalog." yes, it worked.

For your topic, it should be the second usage. You want to migrate puredisk images to msdp, is that right?

Yes, if you want to migrate PureDisk data to MSDP directly, it's not supported.

But I think it's possible to use the following way as a workaround to satisfy your needs.

1. Export to NetBackup. Export your PureDisk data to basic disk of NBU.

2. Then duplicate PureDisk data from basic disk to NBU MSDP via Catalog utility.

Thanks