cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate Tape Library and Media to New Media Server

lravelo
Level 3

Hi Everyone!

Before today I had one master/media server with two tape libraries connected via SAS.  Realizing the server was being overwhelmed, I implemented a new media server and wanted to migrate one of the libraries over to this new media server in order to split the workload.

I've reviewed TECH62119

So far I'm stuck on step 3 because I don't want to affect the other tape library.  As of right now all of the tapes in the library I want to relocate have been moved to a standalone Volume Group.  At this point should I just delete the robot from NetBackup and install it on the new one and inventory?

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You are correct. You do not want to decommission the master server or move all devices and related images to the new media server.

You want to delete the robot and tape drives that you want to physically move to the new media server, then configure devices and STU and update backup policies.

Next, reassign all backups written on media that has been moved to the new media server.
You will need to list all the tapes and issue bpmedia/bpimage command for each media id:
bpmedia -movedb -m media_ID -oldserver <old_server> -newserver <new_server>