cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate data from existing pure disk

almir_spahic
Level 4

Hi everybody,

I need help.Running netbackup version 7.7.I had some failure of server and im stuck with strange situation which i cannot solve.I have storage that is atached to server and i see that storage as D disk on my server.Initiall backups are first going to folder D:\deduplikacija and everything was ok.I had chrash of server and i resinstall server form scratch.I created new pure disk pool D:\DEDUP.I do backup for 5 days in that folder.For some reson i had to go back to version of server before disaster.I returned my server to previous state using catalog backup.Now again i'm using folder D:\deduplikacija for backup.My question is how can i use files and backups for d:\DEDUP folder?I know that i cannot have 2 pure storage disks atached t server.Is there any other option to copy data from D:\DEDUP to d:\deduplikacija without losing any settings?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Since you seem to be in the good practice of performing catalog backups you could do the following.

Build a duplicate master server (and media server if its not all in one). Keep the same name as the current one but leave it in a workgroup so it doesn't conflict with current one. Control name resolution with hosts files.

Then you'll need to copy the D:\DEDUP folder to that server, restore the last catalog before you reverted back to the first setup. Then implement Marianne's suggestion of duplicating to Basic disk. Once that is done you can then move the images on Basic Disk to the original server and import.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne

Pity you did not ask before you configured the dedupe storage with different path....

If you asked before you performed catalog recovery, my suggestion would be to provision BasicDisk Storage and duplicate backups in D:\DEDUP to the Basic Disk.
You would now be able to import the Basic Disk contents and duplicate to restored config with original path.

NBU allows only one dedupe pool. I cannot see how you can access or import the backups in DEDUP folder.

Hopefully someone else will have some idea...

In future - please ask before doing something you are not sure of... or use NBU manuals that describes recovery situations....

almir_spahic
Level 4

People in dramatic situation do stupid thing so did i:)There is no way to physicaly copy data from d:\dedup to d:\deduplikacija?Any tool to do this?

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Since you seem to be in the good practice of performing catalog backups you could do the following.

Build a duplicate master server (and media server if its not all in one). Keep the same name as the current one but leave it in a workgroup so it doesn't conflict with current one. Control name resolution with hosts files.

Then you'll need to copy the D:\DEDUP folder to that server, restore the last catalog before you reverted back to the first setup. Then implement Marianne's suggestion of duplicating to Basic disk. Once that is done you can then move the images on Basic Disk to the original server and import.

almir_spahic
Level 4

Thanks that's good solution.Since i need only image from one server that i backed up,is there solution to delete all other images and leave only images of that server.I'm talking about 7Tb that i can't easyly move to another server.

RiaanBadenhorst

You can only work (expire) with the images once you've copied them and restored the catalog.

almir_spahic
Level 4

Thanks.Is there option to install that additional server and add that D:\DEDUP as mapped drive from original server.Does netbackup support pure disk as mapped network drive?

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

MSDP over CIFS is not supported. It might work or it might not. Never tried it.

Marianne
You have 2 choices : 1) Follow Riaan's advice 2) Let it go and see this event as 'lesson learned '. Use this situation to motivate the purchase of additional storage (like a small tape library or additional dedupe disk ) to duplicate images to. Having only one copy of backup data is never a good idea. Additional dedupe disk will need another master or media server.