cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate policies from one master to another (different OS)

chack22
Level 4

Can you copy policy information from /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class from a RHEL master server to a Windows master server?

This article has concerns about same OS and same NBU version.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-move-policies-one-master-server-another-keeping-e...

As part of an aquisition, we're going to be combining 2 NBU domains, both running the same version of NetBackup, and wish to ditch the RHEL box and move to Windows. We simply going to correct the storage the policies are using, and point the clients at the new master. The old RHEL box will remain in place for restores until the remaining images expire. We've recreated policies for other domains we've added, but this one in particular has a significant amount of policies and creative backup selections.

Any foreseeable issues?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What you can try and be supported is to copy the policies threw the administration console.

Go to the policies, select a policy, right click on it and select copy. Then go to file -> change server and add (and select) the new master server. Right click on policies and select paste.

I've use this procedure in the past to move policies to another server. Both masters must be at the same version/patch and both masters must trust each other (both must be on the SERVERS list.)

I do not know if this is working with 7.5, but you can try it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If the Netbackup servers are the SAME version of NetBackup and are the SAME OS you can copy /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class.

For this case, you can't. The best you can do is recreate the policies on the newserver. Symantec's official doc for this actually refers you to consulting, TECH31385, as many complications can occur.

chack22
Level 4

I get the whole Symantec/Partner consulting to do a image catalog migration, but I don't see anything that specifically calls out policy data. The files are flat files, create by an application, so there should be no OS dependency on the files. I'm not interested in going with an unsupported config, just questioning why the db/class directory is off-limits to copy? Is there another doc that can be referenced that speaks specifically to policy information?

StefanosM
Level 6

What do you mean by "I get the whole Symantec/Partner consulting to do a image catalog migration"

If you get the training, then you know how to do it. If not, and just get a consultand to do the job, the consultant will know.

chack22
Level 4
I guess I should have been more clear. I understand why Symantec requires a catalog manipulation engagement to move images from one master to another. I don't understand why copying configuration files from one to another, regardless of OS makes a difference. Our management wasn't pleased with the pricing to merge image catalogs, it was cheaper to migrate clients to the existing master server and allow the images to naturally expire at the remote site. I'm trying to find a short-cut to make up for managements lack of spending. If it's not allowed, it's not allowed. I was just hoping for either a doc that specifically calls that out, or if anyone has attempted it.

StefanosM
Level 6

What you can try and be supported is to copy the policies threw the administration console.

Go to the policies, select a policy, right click on it and select copy. Then go to file -> change server and add (and select) the new master server. Right click on policies and select paste.

I've use this procedure in the past to move policies to another server. Both masters must be at the same version/patch and both masters must trust each other (both must be on the SERVERS list.)

I do not know if this is working with 7.5, but you can try it.

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited
This does work in 7.5 - been there..... AJ

chack22
Level 4

If this is works, thank you!!! Close to 200 policies that need to be moved...