cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate to Netbackup 8.1.1 version from old version 7.1

Lotfi_BOUCHERIT
Level 5

Hello,

We have Netbackup 7.1 installed in Windows Server 2008 R2 machine acting as Master Server. And we are about to acquire the latest version of Netbackup 8.1.1.

I would like to ask if we can pass directly to this version or we need to transit to intermidiate versions.

Thank you in advance.

12 REPLIES 12

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You should technically be able to upgrade straight to 8.x, but there have been so many changes between 7.1 and 8.1.1, that I would personally recommend upgrading to 7.7.3 first, run for a while on this version to make sure everything is stable, read up on 8.x changes (especially about the new Web service, secure comms, etc), then upgrade to 8.1.1. 

You might want to consider to migrate your master server to newer hardware and OS when you are on 7.7.x.
I cannot imagine that Microsoft will support W2008 for much longer. 

Please have a look at the upgrade portals:

NetBackup 7.x Upgrade Portal : https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH74584

NetBackup 8.x Upgrade Portal : https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000115678

Hello Madame,

And Thank you for your reply.

I tried migrating directly to 8.1.1 but it did not work. I had problems such as accessing Policies and checking clients.. Anyway, i changed upgrade path as follows:

7.1 -> 7.5 -> 7.7 -> 8.0 -> 8.1.1 (would you please confirm if this path is good or not??)

The first upgrade to 7.5 worked like a charm, and everything was so good.

But when i made the upgrade to 7.7, i think the version where the admin console was changed to java console by default (am i right?), i had the same errors

Marianne

A 2-step upgrade should've been fine. 
7.1-> 7.7  -> 8.1.1

The Java GUI issue looks like port connectivity problem. It needs port 1556.

Depending on your OS, check your Java config file. 
Mine (setconf.bat on Windows), have these port entries:

SET NBJAVA_CLIENT_PORT_WINDOW=0 0
SET FORCE_IPADDR_LOOKUP=0
SET USE_NBJAUTH_WITH_ENHAUTH=0
SET VNETD_PORT=13724
SET PBX_PORT=1556
SET NBCSSC_PORT=5637
SET NBSDS_PORT=5638

You may need to enable the Java log folders on the master server for further troubleshooting. 

Hello Madame,

I've done what you said and what Veritas says about enabling Java logging and generated the logfile attached.

I really didn't find any reason why it displays those errors.

About the settings you talked about, are the same in my file.

Marianne

I cannot open or download the log (getting 'Network error')

Could you try to rename the file to a .txt file and upload again? (e.g. jbp.txt)
I can open .txt files online.

I did not have time this morning to elaborate on (or lookup) Java logging - the 7.7 NetBackup Logging Reference Guide lists the Java log folders, but the 8.0 and 8.1 manual contains a better description of the whole process flow and logging folders. 

See the section starting here: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/86063237-127664549-0/v121744724-127664549
Go onto https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/86063237-127664549-0/v121744738-127664549

bpjava-msvc and bpjava-susvc seem to be the relevant ones here. 

Hello Madame,

Here is Txt logfile.

Marianne
There seems to be a problem with this file as well. I cannot open it. Not sure if the multiple dots and comma is causing the issue.
PLEASE rename the file to jbp.txt, ensure that you can open it with Notepad before uploading again.

Have you checked the section in the Logging Guide yet?

Marianne
Error message when trying to open the file online:
This page isn’t working
vox.veritas.com sent an invalid response.
ERR_RESPONSE_HEADERS_MULTIPLE_CONTENT_DISPOSITION

Hello Madame,

Here is the file.

Marianne

Looking at the log, it seems that PBX (1556) connectivity is fine.

We see several successful connections, e.g:

INFO: ClientConnectionManager: found ClientGIOPConnection to NBU-AD.nbu.ad:1556:nbsl (2c2838aa)
ICACHE.PBXIOPCredsHandler-> ServiceContext registered.

It seems the issue is only with Policy info: 

(ObjSvc)Symantec.NetBackup.SL.PolicyMgmt.PolicyQueryFacet.getAllPolicies
Request ID: 20
Server: NBU-AD.nbu.ad
Time Taken: 12370ms
Successful:
Reply Status: Unknown
UserException: Symantec.NetBackup.SL.NBSLOpException
Data[0]: Host: nbu-ad.nbu.ad Error Code: 25 Error Msg: cannot connect on socket

Questions:

Have you checked that all services/processes are running correctly after the upgrade?
Can you list policies from cmd? 
Which 7.7 version exactly did you upgrade to? 
(Hopefully 7.7.3 as previous versions had some issues.... cannot remember details... )

My advice:
Please log a Support call with Veritas.
Ensure all the logging is in place as per the Java process flow diagram in Logging Ref Guide. 

Like Marianne said, are you sure all the services are running? 

The issue is also with clients it seems.

[25-07-2018 14:16:38:420] jacorb.orb.giop:INFO: ClientConnectionManager: found ClientGIOPConnection to NBU-AD.nbu.ad:1556:nbsl (2c2838aa)
ICACHE.PBXIOPCredsHandler-> ServiceContext registered.
(ObjSvc)Symantec.NetBackup.SL.PolicyMgmt.PolicyQueryFacet.getHWOSList
Request ID: 34
Server: NBU-AD.nbu.ad
Time Taken: 12137ms
Successful:
Reply Status: Unknown
UserException: Symantec.NetBackup.SL.NBSLOpException
Data[0]: Host: nbu-ad.nbu.ad Error Code: 25 Error Msg: cannot connect on socket Additional Info:
vrts.nbu.admin.policymgmt.BackupPoliciesManager-> getHardwareOSList(): PortalException while building hardware/OS list: cannot connect on socket(25)

vrts.shared.admin.NBUCommandOutputException: Could not get list of client hardware and operating systems supported by the server NBU-AD.nbu.ad. Reason: cannot connect on socket(25) 

You will be unable to configure clients for NBU-AD.nbu.ad
at vrts.nbu.admin.policymgmt.BackupPoliciesManager.getHardwareOSList(BackupPoliciesManager.java:9267)
at vrts.nbu.admin.policymgmt.BackupPoliciesManager.createPolicyResources(BackupPoliciesManager.java:9127)
at vrts.nbu.admin.policymgmt.LoadWorker.construct(LoadWorker.java:165)
at vrts.common.utilities.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:135)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Anshu_Pathak
Level 5

It's a nbsl connectivity issue. 

NetBackup service restart, master server reboot should take care of it. If not then contact Veritas technical support as log review would be required.

Required logs: nbjlogs (in netbackup\logs\user_ops) this logs is generated on the server where you have launced java console

From master server: nbsl, nbproxy, bpdbm, pbx, bpjava-susvc, bpjava-msvc