cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Master server/backup network.

DG-2005
Level 5

Hello all, So I have an existing 7.6.1.1 env pointing to a DD via OST (which replicates to a another DD through SLP).

Prod (10.xx.xx.xx)

Existing (20.xx.xx.xx) 

Backup (30.xx.xx.xx)

Customer is wanting a dedicated backup. I am looking to either move the master, media, and DD over to the new dedicated backup network or to build a new master, existing media , and DD on the existing network. (let's assume all routing is configured and in-place as needed)

Current Master , Media, and DD all dual pathed on Prod & Existing networks.

My question is, can i stand up a new master server in the backup network, using the same media server to point to the same DD (using same mtree).

My initial thought is that I will need to move to swap Prod IP and Existing IP on media around, then Existing IP becomes the new Backup interface.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I dont particularly like having dual networks running that take you to the same place (client). It just makes no sense to me. If you want to have a backup network then great, but I would isolate it completely and have the master / media / storage devices contained within it. If you do it like that all devices would be on say the 10.200.0.x network. If they need to talk they know which interface is required and there is no confusion. Netbackup gets confused it talks to a client on one interface (one path) and the client decides to respond on the other. In above scenario you would need to have the client's configured with -bck naming and put it in DNS/hosts. And in NetBackup configure it as such.

But then you already have them configured with normal naming so it makes it difficult. Suppose if you can still access them via old name you can still restore them. Or restore "to alternate" even though its the same client, just using -bck.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RiaanBadenhorst

What is the point of prod and existing? Are some clients on prod and some on existing? In other words, can one be removed?

DG-2005
Level 5

prod is main network and existing is a network that has 'some' backups run across it (not many, and should be replaced by dedicated backup network)

the existing network was initially setup as a mangement network. 

RiaanBadenhorst

Ok so, lets remove the existing network out of the equation and replace it with the backup network. Since you already have some backups running across the existing network you can use the logic you have been using already and it should work fine. Are you using a dual hostname/dns type configuration such as client_bck or did you manipulate the clients on the existing network by using host entries.

DG-2005
Level 5

Yep Existing network will be out of the picture and replaced with the backup network. The idea is to start off with a minimal configuration needed to run backups from the Backup network. Backups will run on both Backup and Production Network initially, while migrating clients from the Production network over to the Backup one. I believe from a networking aspect I am good.

My concern is that with re-IPing both media and DD, that the existing backups with the existing master server is going to cause me some issues should I need to restore. Since the "existing" network is 1G and Prod is 10G, I am going to have to re-configure those boxes, and I am not sure how NBU is going to be able to 'read' those images since I beleive I will need to decomm the existing IP for the backups. 

RiaanBadenhorst

I dont particularly like having dual networks running that take you to the same place (client). It just makes no sense to me. If you want to have a backup network then great, but I would isolate it completely and have the master / media / storage devices contained within it. If you do it like that all devices would be on say the 10.200.0.x network. If they need to talk they know which interface is required and there is no confusion. Netbackup gets confused it talks to a client on one interface (one path) and the client decides to respond on the other. In above scenario you would need to have the client's configured with -bck naming and put it in DNS/hosts. And in NetBackup configure it as such.

But then you already have them configured with normal naming so it makes it difficult. Suppose if you can still access them via old name you can still restore them. Or restore "to alternate" even though its the same client, just using -bck.

DG-2005
Level 5

Thanks, believe this resolves any concern I had :)