Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating NBU catalog from Suse Linux master server to an NBU Applianc

Bongz_83
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello Guys,

I am required to migrate a Netbackup catalog from a Suse Linux master server to an NBU Appliance. IP and hostname will not change. I have read this technote: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH203048 and I have a question regarding point number 4 on this technote(for conditions that need to be met). Point number 4 says:

The existing NetBackup master server must not be a media server for SharedDisk, OpenStorage or MSDP. Customers should expire or duplicate all copies of disk storage attached to the existing master.

I have an MSDP attached to the master server. Now that question that I have is, after duplicating the images to tape, Do I then remove the MSDP from the Netbackup config, then take another catalog backup(this will be with out the MSDP info) and restore it onto the Appliance or do I just go ahead and recover the catalog after duplicating the images to tape?

Please help.

Regards,

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Yes, I think this:

The existing NetBackup master server must not be a media server for SharedDisk, OpenStorage or MSDP. Customers should expire or duplicate all copies of disk storage attached to the existing master.

...actually means:

The existing NetBackup master server must not be a media server for SharedDisk, OpenStorage or MSDP.  Customers should expire, or duplicate and expire the copies on SharedDisk, OpenStorage or MSDP, all copies on disk storage attached to the existing master - and remove (i.e. decommission / un-configure) the configuration of SharedDisk, OpenStorage or MSDP.

View solution in original post

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If I were you, I would log a call with Veritas Support for more details about the steps listed in Article 000087813

The assumption is that the Appliance master will be prepared as Master with AdvancedDisk and MSDP pools, but a catalog recovery from another master will wipe out this config.

The article merely says:

The default Appliance configuration ..... will be overwritten.

It does not explain anything about the disk pool configurations and if or how it should be recreated.

Curious to know if anyone has tried this already?

RiaanBadenhorst

Basically, you're not moving the storage devices, you're moving the catalog. So you should have no storage connected to the master itself. Duplicate off to tape or some other device that is not migrated so it can be referenced after the migration. Then greacefully remove all the storage that might be connected to the master. Then proceed with the migration.

6 REPLIES 6

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Yes, I think this:

...actually means:

The existing NetBackup master server must not be a media server for SharedDisk, OpenStorage or MSDP.  Customers should expire, or duplicate and expire the copies on SharedDisk, OpenStorage or MSDP, all copies on disk storage attached to the existing master - and remove (i.e. decommission / un-configure) the configuration of SharedDisk, OpenStorage or MSDP.

Marianne
Level 6

If I were you, I would log a call with Veritas Support for more details about the steps listed in Article 000087813

The assumption is that the Appliance master will be prepared as Master with AdvancedDisk and MSDP pools, but a catalog recovery from another master will wipe out this config.

The article merely says:

The default Appliance configuration ..... will be overwritten.

It does not explain anything about the disk pool configurations and if or how it should be recreated.

Curious to know if anyone has tried this already?

RiaanBadenhorst

Basically, you're not moving the storage devices, you're moving the catalog. So you should have no storage connected to the master itself. Duplicate off to tape or some other device that is not migrated so it can be referenced after the migration. Then greacefully remove all the storage that might be connected to the master. Then proceed with the migration.

Marianne
Level 6
Riaan, what about the Advanced Disk and MSDP on Appliance Master? Won't that be wiped out by the Catalog recovery from old master?

RiaanBadenhorst

What I said is "So you should have no storage connected to the master itself" i.e don't have any type of storage unit/pool configured on it. It must just be a Master, no media server functions.

Bongz_83
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Guys!

Thank you for the sound advice. The migration was a success(well for now, backups are running fine just need to test some restores later).

Article 000087813  is good for these types of migrations but I feel they should have also added one more line to say you need to unconfigure/decommission the MSDP after expiring/duplicating the disk images. Thanks guys.

Regards,