Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating NBU master to different platform

Nicolas_Cure
Level 4
Certified

Hi all,

I have a 7.1 master server (dedicated master) on Solaris 10 SPARC that I need to migrate to a different platform. I´m considering the option of setting up a new server and restoring the catalog. The SPARC platform is being decommissioned so my options are:

• A Windows VM running on Hyper-V
  • A VM running SUSE 11 SP1 on Xen Server or Hyper-V
  • A VM running Solaris 10 x86 on Xen Server or Hyper-V

From the documentation I´ve seen it´s not supported to move from Unix to Windows so that negates my first option. Does anyone know if it´s supported to go from SPARC to x86? Has anyone done a similar migration? I´d appreciate any views on this.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

NetBackup considers platforms to be Windows and Unix/Linux. You can therefore migrate within a platform between different Operating Systems i.e. Windows 2003 > Windows 2008 or Solaris SPARC to RHEL, or Solaris SPARC to Solaris x86.

Please see the notes below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448

A migration between platforms i.e Windows 2003 to Solaris would require Consulting services from an authorized partner.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

I think last option will help you, you just need to keep same hostname as it was before. (i never done before)

VM running Solaris 10 x86 on Xen Server or Hyper-V

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

NetBackup considers platforms to be Windows and Unix/Linux. You can therefore migrate within a platform between different Operating Systems i.e. Windows 2003 > Windows 2008 or Solaris SPARC to RHEL, or Solaris SPARC to Solaris x86.

Please see the notes below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448

A migration between platforms i.e Windows 2003 to Solaris would require Consulting services from an authorized partner.

Nicolas_Cure
Level 4
Certified

Thanks for your input. This was actually my second option after finding out that moving to Windows wasn´t an option. My doubt was if it was ok to move from SPARC to x86 even though they´re both Unix.

The reason my second option is now SUSE is based on support here. Internally the company wants to drop Solaris support alltogether so from an OS admin point of view going to SUSE is a better option. I guess if it´s not a problem to go from SPARC to x86 from an NBU point of view than the different OS shouldn´t be much of a problem?

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

If you planning to go with VM running SUSE 11 SP1 on Xen Server or Hyper-V & without Symantec Consulting Services  it is much more challenging / risky migration task.

How large / complex your NBU domain ??

Nicolas_Cure
Level 4
Certified

Thanks. This really explains it.

Has anyone actually gone through this process? Any thoughts/suggestions?

Nicolas_Cure
Level 4
Certified

It´s not very large. The only thing is there´s a number of clusters (2 windows file clusters, 2 Hyper-V clusters and a SQL cluster) that are setup as SAN media servers.

Env:

6 media servers ( 2 Wwindows /  2 HP-UX / 2 Solaris)

12 san media servers (Windows 2003 and 2008)

2 robots

MSDP configured on the Windows and Solaris media servers

all distributed in 2 sites.

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

Call consulting to get this done. You can migrate from Unix to Windows, however it requires consulting to do this. To put it simple Windows uses a \ while unix uses a /.

;)

Nicolas_Cure
Level 4
Certified

Looks like we´ll go with the option of doing it ourselves by staying on the same platform but moving to SUSE on a VM. That way we´re still doing it in a supported way and getting the benefits of going to our standardized platform for the OS.