cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Netabckup 6.5 from win 2003 to win 2008

Being_human
Level 4

Hi,

I have to migrate the existing netbackup 6.5 running in windows 2003 to windows 2008.

I know netbackup 6.5 don't run on windows 2008.

Whether 6.5.6 will  work on win 2008 , if so can you provide the download link as I tried and  didn't get one

IF I install 7.1 in win 2008 ,  whether the backup still can  be copied , if so please provide the steps.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Follow the updated process for 7.1 instead of 7.6

First upgrade your 6.5 environment to 7.1

Then install 2008 on new hardware and migrate the installation using catalog backup and restore.

I don't know what you're trying to do but the new master is not going to need to talk to the old one.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

First upgrade your 6.5 environment to 7.5 (if you've got 32bit) or 7.6 if you've got 64 bit.

Then install 2008/2012 and migrate the installation using catalog backup and restore.

Then upgrade to 7.6.1.2 and you'll be OK for many years to come.

Being_human
Level 4

We don't have the budget for netbackup 7.6  , we need  either through 7.1 or 6.5.6 .

Win2008 server is already in place, I have configured the netbackup 7.1 in the new server but when I try to communicate to the old server getting error message

Info bpbkar32(pid=0) done. status: 59: access to the client was not allowed  

access to the client was not allowed(59)

I suspect this is something to do with encryption , can you let me the know steps to copy the encryption phrases.

RiaanBadenhorst

Follow the updated process for 7.1 instead of 7.6

First upgrade your 6.5 environment to 7.1

Then install 2008 on new hardware and migrate the installation using catalog backup and restore.

I don't know what you're trying to do but the new master is not going to need to talk to the old one.

Marianne
Level 6
Forget about what you've done so far and follow these steps : First upgrade old master to 7.1, then prepare 2008 server with exact same hostname. Install NBU 7.1 on new server to same path as old server. Take hot catalog backup on old master. Usb drive is easiest. Copy DR-file to usb drive as well. Recover catalog on new server.

Being_human
Level 4
Two servers cannot be named same. I followed ur instruction and managed to get netbackup installed in 2007 server. I copied the existing db filed from old server and copied to the new one. Copied encryp as well. Wheb i try to restore the old files getting error message in ner server as the old server is not under netback configuration. But i can see the old server under configuration and able to take back up.

Being_human
Level 4
Two servers cannot be named same as both will b operating I followed ur instruction and managed to get netbackup installed in 2008 server. I copied the existing db filed from old server and copied to the new one. Copied encryp as well. When i try to restore the data that was backed up in the old server getting error message in new server as the old server is not under netback configuration. But i can see the old server under configuration and able to take back up of the old server. Tell me what else to be copied from the old one to new

Marianne
Level 6

Two servers CAN be named the same.

Just install the W2008 server off the network (do not join DNS).

You cannot copy configuration from old to new server and expect it to work.

Here is the catalog migration procedure:

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between Windows master servers as part of a hardware refresh
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

Another possible workaround is Recovery without Import, but with this method, you cannot append to existing tapes - you need to provide all new tapes and keep existing unexpired tapes separate and only put in library for restores.

You will need to extract media/image expiration dates from old server and add to new environment when images have expired.

If you do not add old tapes to separate non-backup pool, they will be overwritten on the new server.
Use Media Host Override to use new server for restores.

The migration using TECH77447 is by far the best possible method.