cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Netbackup 7.7.2 cluster to new hardware and OS

Amgad
Level 3

We have two Netbackup clustered master servers on windows 2008 R2 and we want to migrate to new hardware with windows 2012 R2 installed

what is the best way to migrate all clients, policies and storage to new clustered master server?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Tousif
Level 6

Hi,

If I am not wrong then you are using MS-Cluster. 

-Run NBCC and confirm that catalog is consistence.

-Fresh full catalog backup and DR file backup in shared location.

-Take NBSU from both nodes

-Take backup of registry key just for safety to understand the configuration during troubleshoot. (Optional)

-Create same replica of existing master configuration. e.g NBU version, install path, Master server Name, Shared drive and drive name and path.

Note: you can change IP address but cannot change the Master server name.

-Once install the fresh NBU. Check the failover and other health check from cluster and OS end.

-Perform the catalog recovery.

Shortcut (Not Recommend): You can avoid catalog recovery. Once you install the NBU. Bring down the NBU services on new server and old server. Unmap the existing shared disk from New server and old server.

Represent the older server shared disk to new server using the same drive letter. Take backup of NetBackupDB folder locally. Bring up the NBU services.

Thanks & Regards,

View solution in original post

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You recover the catalog from catalog backup using the same storage and media server you are currently using to backup the catalog.

Did you configure email notification in your catalog backup policy?
The email that is sent after successful catalog contains all the steps to recover the catalog.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Tousif
Level 6

Hi,

If I am not wrong then you are using MS-Cluster. 

-Run NBCC and confirm that catalog is consistence.

-Fresh full catalog backup and DR file backup in shared location.

-Take NBSU from both nodes

-Take backup of registry key just for safety to understand the configuration during troubleshoot. (Optional)

-Create same replica of existing master configuration. e.g NBU version, install path, Master server Name, Shared drive and drive name and path.

Note: you can change IP address but cannot change the Master server name.

-Once install the fresh NBU. Check the failover and other health check from cluster and OS end.

-Perform the catalog recovery.

Shortcut (Not Recommend): You can avoid catalog recovery. Once you install the NBU. Bring down the NBU services on new server and old server. Unmap the existing shared disk from New server and old server.

Represent the older server shared disk to new server using the same drive letter. Take backup of NetBackupDB folder locally. Bring up the NBU services.

Thanks & Regards,

Thank you Tousif

I have a question, If I have to use the same nodes names this means I have to disjoin the existing cluster nodes from domain and this will distroy it

What can I do in case I want to roll back if migration failed for any reasone?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Don't destroy the old nodes/cluster, just keep them powered off until you are sure the new cluster is viable. When you come to wipe them, make sure the server LAN NICs are unplugged, or their LAN switch ports marked down, and then boot them, and then use ILO/DRAC to logon at console and destroy/wipe them.

Hello,

I agree with sdo, Please do not decomission the existing master server. Just Powered off both the nodes.

Once you confirm everthing is back and normal then only go with dicomission procedure for older nodes as suggested by sdo.

Thanks & Regards,

But in case for roll back and power on the old cluster nodes will SID conflict in AD with new nodes name

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Yes, you'll need to research cluster admin steps.

Marianne
Level 6

My 2c:

You can configure the new servers with different local nodenames.

The only requirement is that the virtual hostname must be the same. 
Along with version and path requirements... 

OK I have another question

How to import the Catalog backup image to the new NBU cluster to recover, Since this is only master server not a media server?

Marianne
Level 6
You recover the catalog from catalog backup using the same storage and media server you are currently using to backup the catalog.

Did you configure email notification in your catalog backup policy?
The email that is sent after successful catalog contains all the steps to recover the catalog.

Thank you

last question in this article  https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000072612

in point 9

• Restore the data files through the virtual server.

What is the data files?

Marianne
Level 6
That TN is NOT for recovery of a clustered master server. It is meant for clustered client.

Please follow steps in the post that you have marked as solution.

Marianne
Level 6
Another old but still relevant TN - look at the section for clustered master server:
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000090837

Marianne
Level 6

More reading matter:

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between Windows master servers as part of a hardware refresh
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000041076

To prepare the new clustered environment, follow the steps in  
NetBackup Clustered Master Server Administrator's Guide 

Hi

In catalog recovery there are two phase.

1. Image recovery

2. Database recovery

If you have any addintional user data on defferent drive then it required manual restore.

That article is to recover the entire client servers in cluster. Not for Master server recovery.

Thanks & Regards,