cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Migrating / Pruning restored image catalog prior to nbcatsync in DD environment?

SystemManagler
Level 0
Partner

All,

I am in the middle of migrating/splitting a NetBackup environment for two clients; they were one company and are now splitting up and migrating backups, clients, etc.; Let's call them Client A and Client B, and I will make use of these terms to outline who owns what below:

Original NetBackup environment:

• Client A & Client B
  • Master Server A  - 7.1.0.4
  • A number of media servers
  • DD990-Prod-ClientA
  • DD990-DR-ClientA

Client B purchased a pair of Data Domain DD860s and duplicated existing Client B backup images as Copy 3 to one of these; so in the original environment, it looks like this:

• Client A copy 1 backups on DD990-Prod-ClientA
  • Client A copy 2 backups on DD990-DR-ClientA
  • Client B copy 3 backups on DD860-Prod-ClientB

I have built a new NetBackup environment for Client B with:

• New master server name (unavoidable) Master Server B - 7.1.0.4
  • New media server names (unavoidable)
  • Pointing at existing DD860-PROD-ClientB disk pool with same DD hostname, Diskpool name.

We took a full catalog backup of Master Server A to DD860-Prod-ClientB. After refering to this post: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-can-i-get-remote-nbu-env-ostdatadomain-see-duplicated-ima..., I successfully performed the following:

1. nbcatsync -sync_dr_file <dr_file> which changed @aaaaU to @aaaaf to allow the catalog recovery to run
  2. bprecover -wizard to perform a partial catalog recovery of images and configuration file only

Now for my questions:

1. The recovered catalog contains information for Client A policies and backups which we can't see on Master Server B and are not interested in; is there any way I can easily prune this information BEFORE I run nbcatsync -backupid to fix the device id in the headers of the backups I do want to keep?
  2. Which backupid do I use in the nbcatsync -backupid command? The backupid for the Catalog Backup or the backupid for an individual backup I want to access? 
  3. I understand that for this step, nbcatsync command may not be reccommended due to the time required to search for inaccessible backup images based on this http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH160521 but hints that it should be enhanced in a later version; should I perform the planned inplace upgrade to NBU 7.5.0.6 before running this step?

I know this is a long and detailed post :) I appreciate any comments, advice, or wisdom from the field.

Regards,

Jonathan

0 REPLIES 0