cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Servers

SPresley
Level 3
We currently run NetBackup 5.1 on Solaris 10.  We're looking to upgrade to 6.5, and switch hardware to Linux (SUSE).

What's our best upgrade path?  Should we upgrade our older Solaris server to 6.5 first, then migrate to our new Linux box?  Or is there some kind of import utility that will let us do it all in one step?

When we're done, the linux box will have the same name/IP as the older Solaris box.
5 REPLIES 5

Stumpr2
Level 6

SPresley wrote:
We currently run NetBackup 5.1 on Solaris 10.  We're looking to upgrade to 6.5, and switch hardware to Linux (SUSE).

What's our best upgrade path?  Should we upgrade our older Solaris server to 6.5 first, then migrate to our new Linux box?  Or is there some kind of import utility that will let us do it all in one step?

When we're done, the linux box will have the same name/IP as the older Solaris box.

Keep it simple. Upgrade your current master first. This will allow you to work out any bugs or gatchas on a familiar platform that has already been customized for your environment.

When you are confident that you have a stable 6.5 environment, then migrate to Linux. Any problems you encounter will be able to be addressed as due to the Linux hardware/OS  change and not the NetBackup 6.5 upgrade Smiley Wink

"the linux box will have the same name/IP as the older Solaris box" - MARVELOUS!!!
I am so glad to see this remark as too many ignorant managers push for a new master server name just for naming convention sake so that hey can brown-nose to other departments/management.

...and we all know the lifetime for a "naming standard" Smiley Very Happy

SPresley
Level 3
Sounds like a good plan, thanks.  Are there any tools/utilities to help with the migration from NB6.5 Solaris to NB6.5 Linux?  Or a NetBackup whitepaper on it? 

@Stumpr wrote:

Keep it simple. Upgrade your current master first. This will allow you to work out any bugs or gatchas on a familiar platform that has already been customized for your environment.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Should be able to install Netbackup and then bprecover the old master catalog files unto the new master.

Mustafa_Aktas
Level 3
Partner
My question is about the required steps to Migrate Sun Solaris 10 x64 Master Server to another Sun Solaris x64 Server and to make the previous Master Server a new Media Server to have it's backup by using the media server option on it's own,

We need to migrate from 1 Sun master to a new Master and the old master is going to be a media server,

Is there any way to do such a migration documented as a step by step guide or as a workflow who can share with me?

Let me give you more details,

Basic Components of our Migration Environment:

Old Server: northidb
- Running NBU 6.5.3.1 on,
- Is going to be a media server after migration, and try to have its File System and Oracle backup on its own as it was doing before,
- Configured to backup on SUN TL with 2 tape drives and 32 slots,

New Server: southidb
- Is going to be the master server, have all the old backup configuration on itself in order for the further restores,

Can you please give a brief guideline to make this migration run without an issue? Please email me to support in finding the right path for making the migration successful,

Kind Regards.

Mustafa Aktas
mustafa.aktas@platinbilisim.com.tr
aktasm@gmail.com

Mustafa_Aktas
Level 3
Partner
We have discussed the situation and the possible way of solution to make this migration process with my colleagues in my site in such a way;

1. Creating a freshly installed Master Server with the different server name in the same version of the previous one (6.5.3)
2. Reconstruct the catalog by reading cartridges, is that possible, and what is the command for doing such a thing?

Is that supported and can you please support the command in order to reconstruct the catalog?

Waiting for your lean and clear experiences,

Regards.

Mustafa Aktas
mustafa.aktas@platinbilisim.com.tr
aktasm@gmail.com