cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating backup images from one Media Server (openstorage) to a NetBackup Appliance

silvioreis
Level 2

Hi All ,

I have a need to move all backup images inside one STU openstorage to a new Netbackup appliance that I just deployed in the environment. The Netbackup Appliance will be in the same environment as the Media Server that I have to decommission. Looking at the catalog options I see that I can duplicate backup images, however , the duplication must occurr in the same Media Server. I have to migrate all the images from one Media server to another Media Server (NetBackup Appliance) before decommission. Any idea about the best way to do this ?

Thank you !

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

As long as the storage units (of any type) are in the same NetBackup domain (i.e. managed by the same NetBackup Master) then you are free to "duplicate" as you see fit, either via GUI or CLI... and so... one media server will act as source, and send/duplicate over the network, sending to another media server acting as receiving target - i.e. the source and target storage units do not need to be owned by the same individual media server.

If the storage units are both MSDP (or if both are of the same few other supported types) but are in different NetBackup domains, then you can "replicate" from the CLI. 

View solution in original post

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@silvioreis 

Can you give us a bit more information?

Which type of 'Openstorage' STU?
If it is not MSDP, then images will be rehidrated during the operation.

You may want to look at bpduplicate to duplicate images from CLI or script - there are more options than in the GUI, and lots of discussions and examples here on VOX.

Thank You Marianne !

Definitely I'll have to use scripts, because the amount of images is very high.

4 REPLIES 4

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

As long as the storage units (of any type) are in the same NetBackup domain (i.e. managed by the same NetBackup Master) then you are free to "duplicate" as you see fit, either via GUI or CLI... and so... one media server will act as source, and send/duplicate over the network, sending to another media server acting as receiving target - i.e. the source and target storage units do not need to be owned by the same individual media server.

If the storage units are both MSDP (or if both are of the same few other supported types) but are in different NetBackup domains, then you can "replicate" from the CLI. 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@silvioreis 

Can you give us a bit more information?

Which type of 'Openstorage' STU?
If it is not MSDP, then images will be rehidrated during the operation.

You may want to look at bpduplicate to duplicate images from CLI or script - there are more options than in the GUI, and lots of discussions and examples here on VOX.

Thank You Marianne !

Definitely I'll have to use scripts, because the amount of images is very high.

When trying to duplicate through the GUI, the message that appears is a bit confusing, saying that the STUs must belong to the same Media Server. In fact, the copies must belong to the same Media Server.

Thank you for your reply !