cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating lto1 to lto2 then to lto4

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

I have a new lto4 tape library and need to move some archive data from several lto1 tapes to lto2 media so that I can then migrate it to lto4 media.  At least, that is the plan.  I have one lto4 library and two lto2 libraries.  I don't have a library with lto2/4 drives all in one, so my plan is to move the data from the lto1 tapes to lto2, then load those tapes into my lto4 library and move the data from the lto2 tapes to lto4.  I'm using NBU 6.5.3.  Any suggestions for alternative ways to accomplish this?  I have about 11 LTO1 tapes and once that data is moved over to LTO4, I have 17 LTO2 tapes that I will also have to move over to LTO4.  

3 REPLIES 3

scored_well2
Level 4
Certified
Hi Wes, think you've nailed it there. Can't think of an alternative with the hardware you mention, unless you have a disk location as a temporary stage for the backup images?

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Here We had a lot of tapes to migrate, so We chose to put the drives together and wait for the retention expires the lto1 tapes.
changing all policy and stuff, the drive lto1 just for read and restore some history backup.

Your way is the festest one, for sure.

See ya

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
I would duplicate the LTO1 and LTO2 backup images to disk and the duplicate them to LTO4. It does require a large amound of diskspace but will save a additional duplication between tapes.