cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating servers, and versions of Netbackup

NathanNieman
Level 6

Currently running master and media on the same Windows 2003 server SP2.

Netbackup version 6.5.5

Looking at creating 2 new servers "Master, and Media"

and upgrading to at least 7.0

Is there an easy way to Migrate the data over from the old 6.5.5?

Say the catalogs, of the policy’s?

Will there be an issues with the clients and 2 new server?  Will I have to keep the Master the same name, and the old server?

any Help would be great.

Thanks you.

6 REPLIES 6

Will_Restore
Level 6

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between Windows master servers:    http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/337969

If one or more of these conditions is not met please contact Symantec Consulting Services or your Business Critical Account Manager for assistance.
  1. The master server must not be clustered.  
  2. The version of NetBackup installed on the old and new hardware must be the same release update of NetBackup 6.5 (e.g. if the old master server is running NetBackup 6.5.4, install NetBackup 6.5.4 on the new master server).
  3. The master server cannot be a storage server for SharedDisk storage.
  4. The host name and IP address of the old and new hardware must be the same.
  5. The version of Windows on the old and new master servers does not matter, nor does the bit count, provided they are both supported by NetBackup.  Thus a 32 bit Windows 2003 master server can be replaced by a 64 bit Windows 2008 master server provided both are running NetBackup 6.5.4.
  6. The NetBackup paths and directory structures must be the same on the old master server and new master server.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Keep the current master server and just add a new media server.

If you want to migrate the master to new 64-bit hardware, use steps in this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

This TN tells you how to use catalog backup and recovery to first migrate to new hardware, then upgrade to 7.0.

To add a new media server, see recommendations in this discussion: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/adding-new-media-server-existing-master-cum-media-server

If you no longer want to use the master as media server, first test functionality of new media server (backups of all clients to media server STU/devices), then move ownership of all media to new media server:

bpmedia -movedb -allvolumes -newserver <new-media-server> -oldserver <master-server>

You can then delete master server devices and STU.

NathanNieman
Level 6

Thank you for the info.

One more question.

Anyone run there Master from a VM server, or should it be a physical server?

NathanNieman
Level 6

One more question.  What would be the advantage of separating the master/Media. 

I know what I think but i want to see what it really is.

jim_dalton
Level 6

Master can be a VM, media server cant for tape , can for disk. Which sort of answers your question about separating master and media. Theres a video about server selection in the Videos section.

Jim

NathanNieman
Level 6

Thank you everyone.

I will be doing lots of reading this week.