Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration Netbakcup server from windows 2003 to windows 2008 server

Baski
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi Team,

We are planning the Netbackup server ( 6.5.6) from windows server 2003 to New hardware on windows 2008 server.  Can you please help me what are things I need conisder before migration

The Current Nebtackup server act as master and media server ( one HP tape library)

As per my knowledge below are my steps

Step 1) Take Full catalog backup and disaster recovery file

Step 2)  Shutdown(stop) nebtackup services.

Step 3) On new server configure the same server name and same IP address and also same drives ( as old server)

Step 4) Connect all HP lbrary ( with zone also ) and check able to see those drives/Robots on OS side

Step 5) Install Netbackup 6.5.6 on New server with same location

Step 6) Import the catalog tapes ( phase 1 and phase 2) then run bprecover commad

Is there any missed steps, If so, please let me know those missed steps

Thanks for your help,

Cheers,

10 REPLIES 10

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

* Once the catalog has been restored confirm the basic operation of NetBackup by running test backup and restore jobs.

* If the master server is also a media server, run the device discovery wizard to update the locally presented devices and storage units.  

Note: When using this procedure with NetBackup 6.5.x some backup policies, particularly file system policies that use directives and run multiple data streams, the first backup that runs after the catalog has been recovered will backup all the data – even if it is an incremental backup.   This may result in backups running longer and media usage being higher than normal during that first backup period and customers should take this into account when planning a hardware refresh.  This problem does not affect environments running NetBackup 7.0 and higher versions.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Step 6) Import the catalog tapes

No need for this step.

Simply copy dr-file to new master, and have catalog tape available.

See  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

Once on new server, PLEASE upgrade to 7.5.0.6 ASAP.

NetBackup 7.x Upgrade Portal http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74584

Baski
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi Marianne/vani,

Thanks for your information. If still you want add any thing here, it will much appreciate, Since we have 5 days more to migrate the server.

And also hopefully, we are upgrade the  NBU 6.5.6 to 7.6 on December 2013 or January 2014.

Marianne

I would not keep the master on 6.5 for more than a day or 2. Although it will work, NBU was only ever supported as master server on W2008 as from 7.0.

Also the matter of EOSL for 6.x for over a year now....

Baski
Level 5
Partner Certified

Yes Marianne,  But the problem for us, client didn't spent money on purchase of new license. Becuase we have Awamar backups, slowly they migrating  the clients from NBU to Awamer. Might be this, client delaying, but they want atleast one master server, So, still discussions going on. That's why, I have mentioned hopefully end of Jan 2014 we may upgrade the NBU.

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Yes,Baski

Plz upgrade it to 7.x soon. :)

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

In that Scenario you can raise it as a Risk and get it approval from customer.

Baski
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi Marianne and Vani,

At last we have migrate successfully the master server from old OS and HW to New OS and HW.   Below are things we faced while migrate followed by above steps.

1) After successful installed NBU on New OS and HW, we have inventory done and started catalog wizard. But we faced tape is missed, because we didn't add media rules. The tape media ID ABC123L3, but after inventory the media ID looks like C123L3 :).

But again changed the host name and IP as old server and up the NBU and take screenshot and added the same in on new server ( Again changed old server name and old IP ,- it is double work for us).

2) Again we faced another problem, while continuing the Catalog. our old catalog is on E drive, but NBU on C drive. Below doc was helped a lot for us.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/tech-note-68160-moving-netbackupdbimages-different-path

Hi Vani, we have raised the risk doc for NBU 7.5

Thanks for both of you helping in this migration.

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Good Job Baski for successful migration and also thanks for updating the issues along with the fixes.

I think you can successfully close this thread by Marking solution which helped u most.

If more than one post helped  u, select request split solution and select all relavent posts.

Marianne

I don't really understand what this means?

1) After successful installed NBU on New OS and HW, we have inventory done and started catalog wizard. But we faced tape is missed, because we didn't add media rules. The tape media ID ABC123L3, but after inventory the media ID looks like C123L3 :).

But again changed the host name and IP as old server and up the NBU and take screenshot and added the same in on new server ( Again changed old server name and old IP ,- it is double work for us).

It seems you had Media Id Generation Rules in place on the old master to read the 1st 6 characters of the barcode. The default is to read the last 6 characters.

You may want to search this forum or Admin Guide I for Media Id Generation

Good luck!