cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from Netbackup 5.1 MP5 on HP-UX to Netbackup 6.5 on AIX

gott_backup
Level 3
We are changing UNIX platforms, and moving from HP-UX 11i to AIX 5.3. Our current environment consists of One HP-UX master running Netbackup 5.1 MP5, and two media servers, all running HP-UX 11i. All are fibre connected to a HP Surestore 10/180.

We are getting 3 new AIX 5.3 boxes, and we are planning on updating to Netbackup 6.5. We'll tentatively retain our master / media server configuration on the new boxes, and we'll have the same library connected as well.

Any tips on this move? Here's what I'd like to see after all is said and done:

1. Install and configure Netbackup 6.5 on AIX master / media servers.

2. Migrate catalog from Netbackup 5.1 to new 6.5 master.

3. Upgrade clients accordingly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gott_backup
Level 3

Well now, naysayers...

Here's what I did... First, I upgraded to 6.5 on HP-UX. Then, I ran a fresh install on AIX, and imported all images from tape into the new AIX install!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
you cannot take a database from 5.1 on one server and put it into 6.5 on another server.

you have to put 5.1 on the new server, put in the database, then upgraded to 6.5.

This is because of the change from all flat files to the emm database, the upgrade to 6.5 converts the database.

ahlip
Level 5
I second that.

Advise is to do migration of platform while at 5.1 (simplier db backup/recovery) and then subsequently do the upgrade while already in AIX.

Note it is supported to port the NetBackup db in between UNIX versions. Not with Windows though.

gott_backup
Level 3

Well now, naysayers...

Here's what I did... First, I upgraded to 6.5 on HP-UX. Then, I ran a fresh install on AIX, and imported all images from tape into the new AIX install!