cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from RHEL5.x Server (NBU 8) to RHEL7.x Server (NBU 8)

Hollis_B
Level 3

Before I start let me make clear that I am aware of the normal catalog recovey method for migrating a master server from one host to another so I'm not looking for that answer.  I am looking for a technical reason why I cannot simply copy /usr/openv from my existing server to a new server.

Existing server - RHEL 5.4 (NBU 8)
Hostname: rhel5svr1
Netbackup name: nbumstr1
IP: 192.168.1.10

New Server - RHEL 7.3 (NBU 8)
Hostname: rhel7svr1
Netbackup name: nbumstr1
IP: 192.168.1.20

The process would be to shutdown netbackup services on existing server, tar up /usr/openv copy it over to new server where it would be untarred over writing all contents of /usr/openv on the new server.  Modify dns so that nbumstr1 points to the new server address; the master server name is NOT changing just the ip addres.  Bring services back online and test.

I know this process works as I've done it numerous times in a virtual test environment but testing is limited because I do not have appliances available to test with.  Because I can't test with appliances like we have in production I'm reluctant to proceed with this method.  If there are any employees that can shed light on this method I'd appreciate it or if anyone else has had experience using this method I'd like to know how it turned out.

Regards

1 REPLY 1

Hollis_B
Level 3

One additional piece to add, I did go through the netbackup installation process on the new server so it's not just copying /usr/openv and expecting it to work.  I installed the same versions that were on our old server and upgraded them up through NBU 8.