cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from old DD to new DD which is integrated with NBU

ksurya1487
Level 4

Hello guys,

there is one old setup DD890 integrated with NBU7.5, DD890 has almost reached max capacity and no more expansions can be added, So customer baught new DD7200 with double the previous capacity.

DD was configured as VTL and integrated with NBU.

Plan is to replave DD890 with DD7200, after replacing the environment should be running same as before

we have started collection replication from DD890 to DD7200, it will replicate all datas, VTL configurations to DD7200, Once its done our new DD will look same like old DD with different name and different IP 

we will configure zone the backup server and new DD and configure initators, once its done VTL devices should be visible on Netbackup backup server.

on the NBU side, if we delete the old devices , configure New VTL and do tape inventory  , will that be enough for netbackup to detedt all tapes and old data..!!

can you please let me know if am missing something.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Well, at least one additional step.

Move all existing robotic (VTL) tapes to standalone.

On second thought - that may not be necessary. 
When you delete existing devices, NBU will automatically move tapes to standalone.

So, just performing Inventory after adding new devices should be fine.

In conclusion, if you are 100% that media will look exactly the same on new VTL, your steps will be fine.

I hope you have all backups on physical tape as well - just to be 200% sure....

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Sounds like your plan will work (with a couple of additional steps), but I fail to understand why anyone would want to stick with VTL in this day and age. Have you seen all the advantages of DD used as OST storage?

ksurya1487
Level 4

Yes Marianne, i suggested DDBOOST OST, but customer is not ready to spend for DD Licences , So they are ok with VTL.

so can you tell me those additional steps? did i miss something?

Marianne

Well, at least one additional step.

Move all existing robotic (VTL) tapes to standalone.

On second thought - that may not be necessary. 
When you delete existing devices, NBU will automatically move tapes to standalone.

So, just performing Inventory after adding new devices should be fine.

In conclusion, if you are 100% that media will look exactly the same on new VTL, your steps will be fine.

I hope you have all backups on physical tape as well - just to be 200% sure....

ksurya1487
Level 4

Thanks Marianne,

i will also look on the tape backups for safer side.

i will again post in this forum if everything was successfull