cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration of Ops Center analytics

nbu123
Level 5

Hello All,

We are in process of migration of our Ops Center analytics from Solaris Server to newly built VM on Linux OS.

In past we were having some issue related to low memory on our existing ops center server and we decided to build a new VM and migrate the ops center to newly created VM.

I had couple of doubts to perform this migration, below are the steps that i had prepared to follow the migrartion.

1) Take the backup of Ops Center using DB backup script

2) Built the new VM and install the ops center server software and patch it to old ops center server version

3) Perform the restore using the dbbackup script by prefexing "restore switch"

Below are my doubts.

a) Due to some internal organization process we cannot give the same name to newly created VM. We will built a new VM  by another name, but we can give it the Canonical Name as the old ops center name.

b) How many mount points we will need to create in New VM.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

A new name is fine - it doesnt need to have the same name

I use this approach

1. Install new one and patch to same level as old

2. shut down old and new (opsadmin stop)

3. move database files on new one to a safe place

4. copy database files from old one to new one

5. add new one as an opscenter server in master host properties (should need a re-start of NBU on master here really)

6. start up new one

That should all work unless you used any domain authentication on the old one which will need the authorisation exporting / importing too

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

A new name is fine - it doesnt need to have the same name

I use this approach

1. Install new one and patch to same level as old

2. shut down old and new (opsadmin stop)

3. move database files on new one to a safe place

4. copy database files from old one to new one

5. add new one as an opscenter server in master host properties (should need a re-start of NBU on master here really)

6. start up new one

That should all work unless you used any domain authentication on the old one which will need the authorisation exporting / importing too

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Mark's process is solid, go with it.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Is your old Solaris based OpsCenter Server on Solaris SPARC or on Solaris x64 ?

Chaps does it matter that Solaris SPARC is big-endian and Linux is little-endian?  Can a set of OpsCenter database files be copied between different 'endian' architectures?

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I think Mark was implying to copy the DB backup, not the actual files. If not, then that is what should be done.

sdo

Ok cool.

nbu123
Level 5

Thanks Mark for detailed step by Step instruction for migration of ops center to new VM.

It would be great if you can give me the ports that needs to be opened between new ops center and Master servers, also how much directory size we would be requiring on our new VM (Considering our ops Center DB is of 18 GB).

Thanks

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If you take a look at the OpsCenter Admin Guide there is a section outlining all ports used, along with a diagram of how it all fits together .. go to the "About communication and firewall considerations" section

The sizing depends on how you want to use it. As you have analytics it could grow very large .. i am surprised it is only 18GB but perhaps your pruning is set fairly low

The "About designing your OpsCenter Server" section in the guide givs a few ideas but it is very much down to what you want it to do and how long you want to keep the data.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

To clarify the copy part .... 

On Windows you can actually copy all of the files held within the Program Files\Symantec\OpsCenter\server\db\data\ directory from the old to the new server.

On *nix of the same type you can do the same (via the appropriate paths)

On different O/S type where a simple file copy is not possible then the db backup and restore option can be used ... note in this case you would leave the original database files in place and just make a copy of them "just in case"

This dbbackup method has even been used to move from Windows to Linux so should be fine for Solaris to Linux

sdo

Thanks Mark.  :)

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

I would check with Veritas about the Endian thing, know from Oracle backup/restore that it can play a big part and both Wiindows and Linux is Little Endian

http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.infocenter.dc31644.1570/html/sag2/sag2417.htm Sybase about endian versions

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue