cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration of data from veeam to netbackup

Kunalgoel
Level 4

Hello Team,

In one of my project Veeam backup software is running and now we are planning to migrate all clients from Veeam to Vritas netbackup.

so to pursue with above have some queries.

1. How to migrate existing data from Veeam backup software to Veritas netbackup tool.
  2. How to perform restore from existing backed up data done by Veeam software through Veritas netbackup  software ?
  3. we have IBM and Oracle tape libraries which is used for Veeam . Can we use that tape libraries with Veritas netbackup? what will be the pre-requisites?
  4. Through Veeam some data is backed up on disk and some data is on tape. Once netbackup infra is UP can we take backup of disk data through netbackup on tape ,if yes, are we good to perform restore if any disaster happens?
  5. And the data which is on tape how we can migrate that one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

StoneRam-Simon
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
We are considering writing a reader for Veeam to enable our Tranzman backup migration tool to help automate this process. Currently we can migrate from TSM and DataProtector into NetBackup enabling netbackup to restore the data through its BAR interface.

If there is sufficient interest we can get this working for Veeam data too

Our approach to migration starts by migrating and converting the catalog,. After this the original backup software is no longer needed. Any restore can be launched from inside netbackup. We intercept the restore request and using our own data readers we read and convert the original backup data into the NetBackup format.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

There are generally no tools for migrating existing backup images from backup system A to backup system B.

You have two choices:

- without migration - operate both systems paralelly. Gradually deactivate backup jobs in Veem and activate them in NetBackup. Once all policies are inactive in Veeam and its backups are all expired, you can decommission Veeam system

- with migration. Do the same, and "migrate" existing Veeam backups. But it is nothing less then restore these backups as VMs (or other data) and rebackup then with NetBackup. No matter if these are disk backups or tape backups.

I would generally recommend the first chice, especially when you have short backup retentions (up to 1 month or so). If you have longer retentions and dont want to operate both systems so long, use method 2.

You can principally use 1 library with 2 backups systems, but must ensure that they dont compete on the library within the same times and that they dont rewrite tapes mutually. Library with partitioning is good for this.

I dont understand question 4..

regards

Michal

Thanks Michal,

Point 4: Through Veeam software some data  been backed up on disk. can we backup that data through veritas netbackup on tape and will perform restore in future if any disaster happens?

Michal_Mikulik1

Hallo,

that's a variant of the same question/problem. You will restore this data from NetBackup tape to some disk. But you restore them as Veeam backup format files, and you will need Veeam again to read these files and restore data from them.

So you will need 2 steps and 2 different technologies to restore these data.

Regards

Michal

Hi,

sorry dont understand below point, can you please elaborate

with migration. Do the same, and "migrate" existing Veeam backups. But it is nothing less then restore these backups as VMs (or other data) and rebackup then with NetBackup. No matter if these are disk backups or tape backups.

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

I dont have better words to explain this. Maybe somebody else on the forum.

regards

Michal

Marianne

Before I try to answer - do you REALLY want to migrate from Veeam to NBU or are you planning on using both products? 

I will try to answer these questions: 

3. we have IBM and Oracle tape libraries which is used for Veeam . Can we use that tape libraries with Veritas netbackup? what will be the pre-requisites?
4. Through Veeam some data is backed up on disk and some data is on tape. Once netbackup infra is UP can we take backup of disk data through netbackup on tape ,if yes, are we good to perform restore if any disaster happens?

3. You will need to partition the tape libraries so that each backup server sees its partition as a totally separate library with own tape drives and own media. Otherwise both servers will assume total control of devices and media and overwrite one another's tapes. 

4. It seems that backing up of Veeam 'disk backups' is quite often using Backup Exec (some related posts on Backup Exec forum.) Just note what Collin Weaver says in one answer on the BE forum

You backup using Veeam to disk, you then backup the Veeam data to tape with Backup Exec - in order to get back a complete VM from tape (that is no longer available directly to Veeam on disk) you would have to restore back from tape to disk, perform what ever re-index or recatalog that Veeam needs and then restore with Veeam.

You may also want to have a look at this Related discussion: Migrate from Veeam to NBU

StoneRam-Simon
Level 6
We are considering writing a reader for Veeam to enable our Tranzman backup migration tool to help automate this process. Currently we can migrate from TSM and DataProtector into NetBackup enabling netbackup to restore the data through its BAR interface.

If there is sufficient interest we can get this working for Veeam data too

Our approach to migration starts by migrating and converting the catalog,. After this the original backup software is no longer needed. Any restore can be launched from inside netbackup. We intercept the restore request and using our own data readers we read and convert the original backup data into the NetBackup format.

Hi Simon,

i need to migrate backup data to Transman. how do i contact your team to discuss my requirement ?