cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration to new server from Window 2003 to 2008

Ms5040
Level 3

We are in the process of hardware refresh.  On the old server netbackup 7.5.0.6 was installed to D:\Program files\veritas\netbackup but on the new server we are planning to install netbackup 7.5.0.6 to C:\Program files\veritas\netbackup.  Is it a must to install to the same path as the old one?   This is my first time doing this.  We are keeping the tape library (IBM System Storage TS3100), we are just replacing the master server on 2003 machine.  Please help me...........Need to know the implication of installing netbackup to different location on the new serve and how to get this done if it is possible Or what option do I have? 

Please help.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you done this on the old W2003? Were images relocated using the registry edit?

Don't try it on the new server. The TN was removed and the process is therefore no longer supported. Especially because of issues such as these during catalog recovery.

The TN mentioned in that post was for images ONLY. This can still be relocated using Windows mount points or juctions or with ALTPATH.

In your case, you want the entire installation including EMM databases in a different place, right? 
It can simply not be done. Relational db's will not restore successfully.

You need to install in the same path as old server.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77447

Install the same version of NetBackup on the new master as the version on the old master server.  Ensure the installation is made to the same path as the one used on the old master server  (a catalog backup made from C:\program files\veritas\netbackup cannot be restored to E:\program files\veritas\netbackup). 

so it is suppose to be in the same path , please follow the guidelines from  above tech note.

Marianne

Absolutely. Follow TECH77447.

Catalog restore location cannot be changed as with normal filesystem restore.

Restore will fail if catalogs are not found in the same path.

Ms5040
Level 3

Thanks all for the information.  I read on this site: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/tech-note-68160-moving-netbackupdbimages-different-path that we need to edit the window registry and change the path.  I need your suggestion again here.  What do you think about editing the registry?............Thank you

Marianne

Have you done this on the old W2003? Were images relocated using the registry edit?

Don't try it on the new server. The TN was removed and the process is therefore no longer supported. Especially because of issues such as these during catalog recovery.

The TN mentioned in that post was for images ONLY. This can still be relocated using Windows mount points or juctions or with ALTPATH.

In your case, you want the entire installation including EMM databases in a different place, right? 
It can simply not be done. Relational db's will not restore successfully.

You need to install in the same path as old server.

Ms5040
Level 3

Thank you very much Marianne.  No I have not done it on the old W2003.  I will follow your recommendation.

Thanks again!